Question about depths

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by transmissionman, Jun 25, 2007.

1. transmissionman

transmissionman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I am very new to catfishing and have been reading lots of post on here but I was wondering what kind of depths normally produce the best this time of year? I have always heard that it you are using chum it works better in shallow water that is close to deep water but I have still not really found the right depths. And what kind of difference is it between daylight and dark as far as the best depth. thanks

2. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I'm not sure there is a specific depth to fish for cats at any particular time of year, it'll all depend on the water temps, weather etc. By now I'd say they're roaming pretty much anywhere by night and hanging around cover during the daylight hours. Just start near the bottom and work your baits up until you find where they're at. Personally I don't fish my baits any higher than 5 feet off the bottom, but that's just me.

3. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alot of experts say that most of the cats will come out of the deep water at night and feed in the shallows. I've had a lot of luck catchn cats in deep holes with steep drop offs. If you catch the cats spawning they'll be in shallower water around rocks or trees and stumps n the water. The channels in southern illinois are just about done spawning and the blues are gettn close to being done. I still have luck all year in deep holes. good luck hope :byebye:ya hang a big un!!!