question about depth?

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by baitchunker, Jul 18, 2008.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i dont know how many of yall fish on my end of the state, other than harold, but any info. is appreciated.

when i fish for cats i like to fish the lower alabama river. usually between boatyard lake and dixie landing. i am planning a pretty a weekend trip up there sometime next month. (i still fish plenty-but most of the time a lot closer to spanish fort). i was wondering what depth yall have been catching them at during these last few hot months? i know the river has been pretty low lately. i know a bunch of deep holes, but i am not sure if i should be in the 30-50 ft. range, or the 15-25 ft. range? any advice will help.

also, i allways pick up a few from the sandbars, butit hasnt been as many in the last few years. any body know why they dont seem to be as thick around sand bars as they used to? or is it just me?

thanks again,

j.d.

2. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Fished the last couple of nights around the Dam at Claiborne, not much going on, unless it is after 2:00 am did not make it that long since the action was slow. Caught a few at around 20ft, which is about as deep as you have withing a few mile of the lock. Did catch a 27lb blue at the dam but he was the only blue we caught up there.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    J D ,

Always remember that a fish is most likely to come up for a bait then go down. I be doing good between 15 and 25 ft.
    Good luck

4. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have been a couple more times, at night since the last post. The only bites were shallow areas near the deep. Like 8-12ft near a 30ft hole, 6ft flat near 15ft, 18ft near 44ft. All the action has been on the rods cast shallow the deep rods are not getting hit.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    JD,
    Before all the rain we were up pass TK fishing the willows and cought several over 15lbs in 2 to 6ft

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the info. fella's. i am hoping to get out at least once this weekend. probably on the tensaw somewhere, but maybe (if im lucky) up on the alabama. dont know how all of this rain will effect them yet.

i will let yall know how i do.

p.s. harold, any more talk about a tournament? i am interested. with all of this sitting around watching my baby boy on the weekend i have been able to squirrell away enough $ to cover a good fishin' trip and an entry fee.