Question about dehydrated/cured livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Sentry Dog Man, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I have cured a few tubs of chicken livers using garlic powder and salt. And, I have been wondering about maybe pouring some oil (vegetable or canola or peanut) into the zip lock bags I have them stored in. In so doing, I am thinking that maybe if this is done, that once the liver is placed on the hook and cast into the water, that it would produce an oil slick of sorts. Which, would leave an easier trail for the cats to follow to the bait.

My only concern is, that possibly the addition of the oil would re-constitute the cured liver to much and maybe lead to early spoilage of the livers.

So, my question is in two parts, "Have you ever tried this? And/or do you think that it will indeed lead to early spoilage of the cured livers?

Of course, I guess I could just pour enough in to give somewhat of a light coating to the livers. Thus, getting a slight oil slick but not quite as pronounced.

Anyway, your thoughts and/or experiences would be appreciated.

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Id say it'd be worth a try. Maybe just do it to a half tub of liver and see how that works before you do it to the whole supply. Let us know how it works.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I've recently added anise oil to my livers. I do believe this helps them find the bait quicker with the smell but it will not leave a slick. I drain 4 chicken liver tubs and then pick out all the big livers and cut them in 1/2 and place them in a gallon ziplock bag. I then add 12 drops of anise oil and let them soak for a day or two. Then I pour the livers on my window screen I use to dry them on and coat them with the salt and garlic powder. Flip them over in 3-4 hours and coat the other side with salt and garlic powder. I usually have a bite within minutes... If not I move.... Of course I fish with a boat and not bank fish. Hope this helps.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    The anise oil would should work well. I guess that I'm not convinced that oil would help in general, since the oil would float right to the surface, which is not where the catfish are going to be.

I try to limit my use of oil at all. Knowing that oil will spread to a thickness of one molecule thick across the surface of the water just doesn't set well with me. I see enough surface slicks already. Off the soap box now...:wink:

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Try it and let us know , it sound like a a good idea even if it does reconstitute the liver a little . I use veg oil in my dip bait if it gets to thick and it does leave a nice oil slick.