Question about Crappie beds

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by zappaf19, Jan 2, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Will crappie use the same spawn beds every year?
    Bill :D

2. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    In my experience, crappie return to the same area or vicinity to spawn due to the physical characteristics that make up the area. However, they may not be able to return to the exact locations from the previous year due to conditions such as lake level fluctuations. On a given year the water level may be lower or higher than the previous year. I do think you can return to certain areas of the lake that have been productive in the past and do well in that location most years.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thanks for the insight. I found a nice bed last year and thought I would try it again.
    Bill

4. shadow

shadow New Member

The same fish dont come to my beds each year. They get caught and EATEN!!! :eek: :p :)

5. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Zappa, you can bait up the bed to make sure you will have fish. Put out some cotton seed cakes (you can use dog food but that will also attract other fish) to bring in the baitfish. The Crappie will follow the baitfish in. You follow the Crappie in. Then you call us to let us know what time the fish fry is.;)

6. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    were we fish the same fish come back every year and the bring more friends with them to spawn so we have a lot of fish that we can clean

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    shadow, that a good one. I cook most of what I catch. My lake is full of crappie and cats and there is no warning on amount of fish we can eat from it. :D

8. shadow

shadow New Member

Same here Dano---The "war dept" and I try to have a fish dinner at least once a week, year round. The freezer is usually full about August and we eat fresh caught fish until Dec or so. The freezer fish only until it warms up enough for us to get out and start over again. Usually in March. A warm day in Jan or Feb will most times find me on the lake hunting crappie. It may well be the best time to crappie fish, not much competition out there in winter.

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I am itching to go!