Question about chinese Abu's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Jb1z, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    People have told me chinese assembled Abu's are lower quality then swedish ones .

Is this true ?

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have heard a lot of the same.

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I have 1 one of the 6600BCX Abu's labeled made in China... I have had it almost a year now, it is a pretty good reel. I have only had 1 problem with it about a month ago the clicker spring broke, I ordered a couple of them online after being told they do break sometimes. But other than that no problem(s) whatsoever. A few people have mentioned the gears are plastic, which I can verify that for a fact since I had the end cap off of my reel.

I have reeled in small channels, 1 flathead, 1 smallmouth, and a tree branch... The branch was probably 2nd heaviest next to the flathead, but it had no troubles at all.

If you want to know anything specific about it, just pm me or post, I will take pictures of it, or let you know what you want to know about...

4. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Plastic gears? Were these the drive gears or the idler gear (gear that turns the levelwind)? I find it hard to believe that the drive gears would be plastic. You'd strip them out. However, every idler gear I've ever seen has been plastic covering Abus, Penns, and Daiwas, so that is not out of the ordinary.

No matter where they're made, they should still be made with Abu's specs. As long as they still have quality control, it shouldn't be a big issue. They just get cheaper labor in China. Where the parts are made, and the tolerances of those parts is the main issue.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have an Abu 7000iCS Pro Rocket made in China. I could not imagine the quality being any better.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've often hear this about the Chinese reels. My problem is that I've posted on other threads to tell me what has exactly broke on these reels.....Not one time I have got a answer. I own Abus that's aren't U.S. made and I have had zero problems. Some gears are plastic but I really doubt they are regular plastic as we think, I would imagine they are made of super strong stuff and adds to the lightness of the reels.

Way to many people get on the band wagon around here. One person will say something and the rest will follow when the have no clue in reality.... I see this all the time here.

I'm not saying one cant break but I have seen Swedish ones break too.

7. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I will post some pictures either tonight or tomorrow... It is a retail version, the 6600BCX

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    No it is not true.
    The reels are dsigned by ABU and the quality control standards are specified by ABU.
    I have six 7000ic3's and they perform just fine. I have stripped them down and seen no evidence of them being made from substandard Chinese parts.
    As I have mentioned before, the only problem I have had with these reels is with the clicker which was a bad initial design and has been redesigned by ABU...W

9. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the help guys.

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the good info guys. I personally thought after reading all the reviews on here about the china reels that they were substandard. I appreciate the honest answers here, and i agree that people will jump on bandwagons. You should see all the people that jump on football bandwagons I work with.:smile2:

11. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have owned and used Abu's for a number of years and when I heard the 7000 Pro Rocket were made in China, I went ballistic. After giving it a fair chance I ordered and am using a couple more. They perform as well as any I have ever used and I am very well satisfied with them. Overcoming the "made in China" tag is the only problem that I have had with them. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    only one Q FOR ME ABOUT A CHINESE ABU. that is "would i own one? answer is no. i could get a swedish one for the same money used on ebay. and ive done just that.

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I say the sweden ones are better then the chinese ones , but like everything you get some good ones and you get a few that are junk . For example I have a sweden made fillet knife and many china fillet knives and one of the china made ones can out perform any other knife I have ever had . The sweden one has to be sharpened after every use .

I have a sweden made abu 5000 winch that is a bad mofo .

14. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I recently bought two Abu's (C3 and C5). I got too scared of the "Made in China" and went with both "Made in Sweden". Sure I paid more but I just could not imagine you are getting the same quality for almost half the price. I maybe wrong but at least I have the piece of mind. I know its probably a labor thing but I am sick of seeing everything outsourced to China. (I know they are made in Sweden which isnt the US) My dad worked in the auto industry for almost twenty years. Guess what, he doesn't anymore (lost his job) and he doesn't have much to show for his twenty that he was lucky enough to get except that he has to work for another 20 to retire.

15. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well the reason the price is probably almost half is because the labor costs are probably less than half of what they are for the swedish ones, allowing them to sell it cheaper without losing any profit.

16. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    So then you really have to ask yourself if you support China and the situations in which they work.

17. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Most of the negative comments about the Chinese made ABU reels has been about the bcx series of reels in my experience.The thing to remember is those reels are a entry level reel in my view anyway.Probably a good reel for what you are paying for it.But they cannot be fairly compared to the higher dollar ABU reels.The chinese made 7000 reels are pretty darn good reels from what Ive seen and heard.I know guys reelin in nice sized sharks and they have been good in saltwater.I believe the higher dollar chinese made reels will be fine except for the occasional lemon which also happens with the swedish made models.just my .02

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    maybe there made by som dum guy lol:wink::smile2:

19. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've got a BCX that I got for cheap. I won't buy another one. It is not a bad reel, but it's kind of like a Glenfiled rifle while the other Abu's are more of a Browning, if you get what I mean.

SO maybe it's not so much a question of where the reels are made as it is the line or series of reel. I think the bcx are intended to be sort of an economy model. Nor bad, but not a tight or solid as a C4 or even a C3...