Question about Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Beaver, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Beaver

Beaver New Member

State:
    California
    I have heard some of you guys say, if you find the shad minnow schools, the Channel Catfish will be underneath them.
    What I find underneath the shad minnows are always BASS.
    I am wondering if the Cats are on the bottom under the Bass.

Please help,

Thanks,

HARRY

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

they are there not 100 percent of the time but eventually they will be there to scoop up the easy meal. Any fish close enough to the flurry will hang around waiting for the easy meal.

3. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i have never had good luck at all,,i have caugh more cat,s at :wink: other places than that.. so i say (((((NO DEAL))))TIMBO

4. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Im gonna have to say that ive yet to see channel cat under the shad. The last 3 nights of fishing have been with shad as my bait. Now its not legal for me to use a cast net so i stand in the water at waist level with a fine mesh landing net . Ive got swarms of shad around me and can see the bottom really well. I do know that the cats are feeding on these shad though. Every once in a while the schools will scatter, im not having any luck with bluegill as cut bait and the cats i have caught are ready to burst with shad in their stomachs. Maybe its in deeper water that this occurs!

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree those wuss bass want no part of a channel, flat or blue when there ready to eat!

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If there is a school of bass feeding on shad, sometimes the channels, as well as blues, will be there, but not for the live shad. They'll be going after what the frenzy leaves behind, cut bait is the answer.

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    If I see bass firing I will throw a silver spoon into them and let it sink to the bottom. A cat will usally hit the spoon.
    Bill