Question about catfish and cold fronts

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman529, Oct 31, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was just wondering if the cats bite before, during or after a cold front with lots of rain. I know they bite when the water rises but what if it was a cold front?

thanks

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Cats will go on a feeding frenzy and feed before and during the front. After the front passes the bite wil drop off. I will generally give it one full day after the front has passed before I fish. The only exception to this is if there was enough rain to get the feeder creeks runnig then the fish will be feeding on what is being stirred up and washed in.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Ditto what 777 said. Fishing the day before a front is usually great. Catfish, as well as other fish, seem to like things to be steady for a while. There's no pattern when the front hits I've been able to determing. I do love big rains, though. They get up in the creeks and shallows feeding on bait fish and other stuff.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The cold front effect is more limited on a river than in a pond or lake. The moving water seems to negate the sour mood lake fish show.

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have to agree...i guess....it would seem that in a river the flow of the current has the greatest effect on the bite.

cyas
    rc

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Last time I fished the Missouri after a cold front, I got skunked. That may not be the norm, but I couldn't draw a strike anywhere.

7. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    thats a good question I didnt know now im going fishing

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have always had better luck before the front:big_smile:

9. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    totally agree w/777 they bite best before and during the cold front,but after that front passes you'll be lucky to get any bites.

10. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Here in Conroe the Cats get nice and hungry waitin for the cold front and seem to keep on till it blows over.
    Then rest for awile and slow down some. Big rains are fun as Gadzooks stated and as far as I have seen here in Texas big rains at tributairys produce fish well.
    Hope this helps. Good Luck and Tight Lines:smile2:

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    And not many places have as big of rains as we get in Southeast Texas, a 13 incher, followed by 7 inches a week later has filled the reservoirs back up.

12. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Thank God for Texas Rain:lol:

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    My experience during a cold front has been bad unless it was raining. I am talking basically from a lake perspective on this. I have my slowest fishing in cold fronts without the rain. The bite becomes more finicky. Sometimes i have a fish on and did not know until I reeled in my line. They seem to become more sluggish and just turn off IMO.

Now before the front in changing weather I had good trips. Also afterwards in warmer water temps.