question about bottom fishing clinton spillway

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by just a redneck, Jun 23, 2008.

1. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    went fishing at clinton spillway last night, learned a couple of things if u use a lantern dont forget bugspray and tying knots is a pain in the dark but the bite was pretty good using 4-6 inch minnows but i never landed a fish everytime i went to set the hook my weight snagged in a rock if i gave some slack and i lost the whole setup or i just jerked it out the fishes mouth need help at wits end.:eek:oooh: i tried floating a bobber but nothing wanted anything to do with it thanks

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks

3. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    anyware from 50 to 100 yrds down fron the actual discharge

4. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Hey Stephen, I fish there every once in awhile. I'll be there a lot more often when I move back to lawrence for the fall semester. I saw these guys fishing from the top of the wall catching good sized fish, but I hear you with the snags. Like Keith said as well, leave the lantern at home. He taught me this not too long ago. There's a reason catfish are mostly active at night.

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    you can find a good headlamp at walmart for $10 or so. just get a light that has red light on it too. green works too if you can find it.

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    or buy a light from your sponsor mega cat crew they work well also

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    man i am getting good on the sales pitch ha ha
    on a serious note i only use lanterns when my family fishes with me and we keep them away from the water and only by the tent the only light we use close to water is the net light

8. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    you are gettin good w/ gettin the Mega Cat Crew in there. thats why i told him a green light would work too. now get back to work Gus !! :smile2:

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    This is what I used to do when I fished the rocks at the outlet at Glenn Elder. I would use a 3 way rig. The leader for the weight I would use 1 or 2 pound mono line. This line would break if it was snagged, and you wouldn't lose your whole setup. A lot of times when a flathead hit the bait, he would set the hook on himself and then break the small line. Then you are free to fight the fish. You will go through a lot of weights, but better then going through a lot of weights, hooks and swivels. Also remember to make your weight line leader and hook line leader different lengths or they will tangle.

Another method I seen on here was to use thin wire cotter pin at the end of the weight leader. Put the cotter pin through the weight and bend the ends. When you get snagged, you can pull on it and it will pull the cotter pin through the weight. I haven't tried this method, but it should work just as well.

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Like Jay said , the 3 way rig with the break away weight leader would be a good option. Ive found that Ive done alot better at Clinton spillway by jigging a shad imitation. If the flatheads are in the section you are fishing, and are active, theyll hit a jig. Sometimes you accidentally snag them, but that can happen just by reeling in and checking your bait while bottom fishing. Jigging can cover alot more ground, and if you run that bait by them enough, your liable to piss them off, and get them to bite that way.

These are the ones I use when working the rocks at Clinton or Perry spillway. Look below the picture of the bait, choose the shad (017). :big_smile:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601348&hasJS=true

Good luck.

11. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Jigs definitely produce flatheads in the spillways. I use a 3/4 oz. head with a big auger tail plastic worm on it. Now, you will find some that will rig up two of these and pump it eratically, that are doing something different than I am talking about.:angry: Just throw it upstream and bounce it down, if they are hungry they will eat it. Rarely you will foul hook one, but I throw them all back anyway.