Question about bank fishing the Ohio River now...

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by catfishjohn, Mar 25, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I wasn't sure where to post this to where it would get more exposure and possibly good info so I guess I'll post it here and KY Rivers Talk.

Rollo just made a post that got me thinking about this. Thanks Rollo, I owe you one.:wink::smile2:

The Ohio is pretty high here. I was wondering, with the current trees, ETC. and all the water you think bank fishing would be productive at this general time? Also in this situation what baits would be best, In your opinions?

I'm not talking about at the Greenup L&D but other bank spots.
    I've never fished it this high(been a while).
    The stage at Greenup and Ashland is:
    Greenup is right at 44' with a flood stage of 54'
    Ashland is right at 42' with flood stage is 52'

What are your opinions???
    Thanks in advance!:wink::big_smile:

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bank fishing is good in high water !

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the quick comment, I appreciate it!
    What type of baits you use in high water? Live,cut,gills,crawlers,shad,skippies??????????:confused2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If you can find a feeder creek where water is backed up and not flowing very much I would fish there, as blue cats will look for some shelter from the debris and flatheads will look to feed on the smaller fish taking refuge there.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Use what you normally would, but throw out a pole with worms, too. They can be really productive in high water when a lot of stuff is getting washed in. If it were later in the year, a grasshopper or two would be worth a try. But my main focus would be fresh cut bait... skipjack, shad, bluegill, whatever you have access to. A live shad would also be awesome if you can get one there.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Not many blues around here, few and far between. Flatheads like crazy though! :wink:
    I posted some pics in a thread something like pics of bank spot X and there is a feeder creek there. I fished it one time not long ago, thats another thread...LOL...and got the skunk. The water was way down also.
    Check out those pics and I'll try to get down there to get pics of it now and see what it looks like.
    Thanks for the Info Gary! Much Appreciated! Reps your way!:wink::big_smile:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks again! I have some crawlers and tons of a big variety of frozen bait. If I can get someone to throw my cast net there may possibly be shad close. I can't throw it due to back/neck.
    I may try some gills or goldfish and see what happens.
    I'll probably use a katbobber for the live bait, I think that'll work pretty well!:big_smile:

8. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    with all the high water, try to target slack water areas, eddies against the bank are great, use cut shad or cut sucker and you can really tear up the channels and on the ohio maybe some blues..give it a shot youll be surprised:wink:

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have limited experience on the "Big-O", but rivers are rivers and high water is the best time to fish. if the water is still on the rise look for slack areas out of the main current. 10ft out from the bank seems to produce best for me even if its only a foot deep. fish arent going to expend all their energy fighting current, especially when the water is cold. once the river crests and begins to drop i have noticed channels (blues should do the same) will head back to the swiftest water they can handle, usually right where heavy current meets the slack even if the river is still very high. Flathead activity is still a deep mystery to me when the rivers are blown-out, i just cant find them anywhere! (at least the bigger ones). i think they hunker down flat on the bottom or behind debris in the main current until the river drops back down a bit.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ill probably wait till the waters go down some and try to fish the Ohio

11. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Thanks John for posting this. I live in catlettsburg and I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for your post now I know.:wink:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
  13. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
  14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

No problem at all. I don't hit the river without checking a couple of those first. Really good info in those 3 links. Save the 3 to your favorites/or put a shortcut on your desktop and you can check them anytime.
    Hope this Helps you all out!!!:wink::big_smile:

15. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    John my question would be how to access the bank? There is a lot of trash when the river is high and getting access to a good spot is hard to do.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Most of my bank spots on the river are usually still accessible even when the water is high. I have a few on the OH side and a few on the KY side.
    The Coal Grove boat ramp looks good because of the feeder creek right by it.
    I'd like to try there or down in Downtown Greenup at another feeder creek going into the Ohio R. Both are easily accessible. They have to be or I wouldn't be getting to them.....:confused2::wink::smile2:

BTW, I'm set for hooks for a while...I just bought 100 8/0 Red Octupus hooks and 15 14/0 Circle hooks(for BIG BAIT)
    and am working on getting several hundred more. I'm gonna start an online Catfishing tackle store before too long. I'll start off with hooks and sinkers and move on to line, and eventually Rods and reels and all else specifically for Catfishing!!!

17. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Greenup are talking about the little sandy?

18. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    John can't go fishing Friday, my wife Vol. me for some work over at my mother an laws.:angry:

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

No, its a small creek at a city park right(less than 1 mile) before you get to the court house on the same side of the road. The bank fishing is easy to get to and looks like a good place. I have lots of pics in past threads of that spot. Check them out!:wink::big_smile: Bank Spot X