question about bait

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catcrazed, Jan 12, 2008.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have heard lots of people say many different things about bait in the past. my question is this. When fishing for channels and blues say in a big lake or evan a small resevoir, do you think that the fish will bite on a bait that is not familiar in there waters. Reason i ask is I fished in A lake today that i know is loaded with channels and have a feeling there is atleast some blues in it. Marked fish all over the place but couldnt catch them. I was using cut skipjack that was caught last week and vaccume sealed as soon as i got home and then frozen. These baits work unbelievably in the river but do you think this would work in a lake or resevoir where skipjack is not available. Do you think it would be foreign to them, enough that they would not eat it? I always just saw it like this. All fish one way or another has it in there blood to eat what is in the river. Evan if these fish were stocked in a lake years ago, more than likely they would have come from a river somewhere. Just want some opinions because over the past few years i have never found a bait quite as good as skipjack herrin (in the river). Just curious how i could fish for 8 hours with it and not evan get one bite. did read some other posts of people just having a bad day today (sat.) Maybe it was just a crappy fishing day????:angry:

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would go with the crappy fishing day. Because I have used skipjack in a couple lakes and I have had great success with it being an oilier fish than shad. So that scent definitely goes alot further.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i say crappy day as well because channels will eat darn near anything. ive caught them on redman leaf chewing tobaco to little smokie sausages from the grocey store. in a small lake worms with the red catfish sent attractant sprayed on them worked good for me. got it at wal mart

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have to agree... i would rather use livebaits that are ingidenous to the waters, but i have caught fish on odd baits at times, that i know aren't abundant in those waters... i do think whatever is the primary forage for them to feed on would be a great choice to use, but i can't see them turning their nose to a fresh cut of anything with that much scent... what do i know though? i have never fished for them nor caught one! :smile2: rollo

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we occasinally use skipjack up here in the northern GMR for channels where they do not, nor think ever existed. they work just as good as shad. channels, blues and even flatties have never seen shrimp, chicken livers, squid, chicken breast, hot dogs, pink salmon, etc, but are consistently caught on these baits.

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    the stuff i mainly use is 5 things for catching kittyfish. my favorite over all bait is a tie between creek chubs and bluegill on The Gmr 1 to 4 inch gill and creek chubs both will getyou will get either a flathead or a channel besides you might get a saugeye, small or largemouth bass or even a nice turtle but not a carp. chicken livers, yes definitely a tried and true that will get channels when nightcrawlers will not also very good for carp. nightcrawlers, old reliable again for river s more than lake could catch mostly channels but also bass, saugeye gills and carp. last but not least goldfish 1 to 4 inches is used when i have the extra money work really good on flats and channels enjoy rick :big_smile:

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Robin I am still not convinced that is the case. As good as those baits looked yesterday..........:sad2:.......................Man i just dont know, I think it was a bad day plan and simple...I have alot to learn about lake fishing in the winter.......:confused2:

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I would say crappy day. I often give what shad and skipjack I have left at the end of the day to a friend with a pond. He just walks out on his dock and pitches them in a few at a time. They try to come on the dock after the bucket when he runs out. He says what i gave Him 2 Years ago is the first he ever fed them. Now he catches them just for his fish.

9. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Those fish you marked may not of been catfish?

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would go with a crappy day . Hey atleast you guys got to go and didn't have to work.:wink:as dinkbuster sad they have not seen alot of other baits that numeriously catch fish.

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am a firm believer that feeding cats will eat anything they see, I just cant imagine them looking at something and realizing its alien to what there used too....:tounge_out:

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that very well may have been the case. how far off bottom were they? i have a large gravel pit/county park near me and during the winter every fish in the lake stacks up in its 35ft+ deep spots. we were there once in January in my boat marking BIG fish that were within 5-10ft of the bottom. after trying everything at that depth we decided to break out 2 big snagging hooks thinking they were large schools of shad. after about 20 minutes of vertical jerking we ended up snagging 2 big carp:eek:oooh:

13. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i do pretty good with skipjack when i bring them back from the river.given the choice i use native fish to the water im fishing though.smaller ones are easily fooled-the big dogs seem to respond more to the local bait choices-for me anyhow.skipjack(cut,whole,live or dead)have brought me all my biggest fish in the river.

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Most of the huge fish we marked were on the very bottom, or suspended a couple feet. Carp did cross my mind, but the carp were really busting the surface hard core all over the lake, these big fish were very stationary and didnt move much, we could mark them over and over again in the same hole.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ah, being that close to bottom they were no doubt catfish. unless that lake has sturgeon in it!:eek:oooh:

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Next time take a multitude of baits with you, their have been times I couldn't buy a bite. So I started using alot of different baits, shrimp is one that surprised me a while back, the only thing that worked for me at that time even though I had skipjack, shad, and live bait.

17. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Mark...Where can I get one of them hats ??

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    T, You just have to mark that up as a bad day. Some days you can mark fish all day and they won't hit. Ask the Bass guys. But the fact everyone overlooks is that if they won't hit what you are throwing, switch to something else, till you get a hit. Keep switching, then if you tried 5 or 6 styles and still didn't get bit then you can chalk it up as a crappy day. You know?