Question about Bait tank and sealants

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dust777man, Feb 2, 2008.

1. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I am in the process of making a bait tank. What kind of sealant would you recommend that wouldn't harm the bait?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I used a clear silicone caulk on mine quite a while ago. The only reason my bait dies is when I cut em up. LOL! Good question.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    :big_smile:Aquarium sealer. Yep, there is a fish safe product.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Clear silicone will work, but beware that some have a fungicide that will kill the fish, and sometimes its hard to tell if the one you picked out has it or not. Aquarium sealer is simply 100% silicone without the fungicide, and is the safest choice.

It you need something stronger than silicone, marine epoxy is also safe. Hot melt glue is said to work pretty well, too, but I've heard a story or two of it coming loose after extended use.

5. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive used dow corning 700 industrial grade,and you cat make it leak,and it wont bother ya bait either..

6. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My local pet store has a fish safe product. I am sure yours does to. I can't see it being an issure unless u plan on using a lot.

7. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    GE silcone type one is a good choice, type 2 has the fungicide, and can harm your fish. You can buy it at any lowes or home depot.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  9. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma