Question about ABU-Garcia reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Oct 10, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have an ABU 7000 my question is why does it have two knobs on it? theres one on the left and one on the right,the manual dosent really tell me, at least where i can understand.Im pretty sure the one on the right is to adjust the spool but what the heck does the other one do,in english lol?

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i believe thats what they call the speed spool. i have an antique 5000 that has them on both sides. they are both tention for the spool. i do not have a 7000 but someone else should be able to correct me if im wrong.

3. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
  4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i couldnt tell you. i looked at those when they came out and didnt like the design so i havent tried them.

5. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    well could someone please explain it to me then? ,i know somebody here knows what its for and knows how to use it,help a brother out.

6. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Brother that's just a bearing housing.You can probally put tension on that side of the spool bearing if you wanted to,but many it's where the spool bearing is placed. :D

7. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    I talked to a guy at bass pro... the other knob is a spool tension adjustment for fine tuning for casting in windy conditions....

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :glare: It also serves as a way to oil the brass bushing without taking the reel apart... I have several different models 7000 7000c3 7700sx and 9000. I back off both sides then tighten the right hand side all the way and adjust the free-spool with the left side works pretty good. I also remove at least 2 brakes from the spool for maximum distance. When you get it adjusted just right they will fly!