Question about abu garcia / is there a method to their reel naming

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Amigo108, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    I'm about to setup my first catfish rod, and am anxious to buy an abu garcia (the 6000 was referred to me as a good one to get). So as I'm shopping, I see a lot of 6000, 6500's and a lot of letters on the end of the models (example 6600CL,6500C, 6500C3, 6500CL3). The abu website doesn't lay out their numbering/lettering scheme clearly so I was wondering if anyone could explain it. I'm sure other's would als benefit.

I think I have been able to determine that clickers start with the 6000 series (with at least on exception), that the 6600's are a 6.3:1 reel vs. the 6500's is a 5.3:1 reel. the 6000 seems may have been discontinued though widely available (not sure about this). The number of bearings are often indicated c4 c5 d5 d3 (but have no ide what the c or d stand for), and as you get larger, 5000's-6000's-7000's the reels get bigger.

SO mainly I'm intereested inknowing was the 6000 replaced with the 6500? and what does all the other lettering mean or is there no method to Abu's lettering madness. Thanks

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Might be worth sending thall the above questions to Abu...W

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well lets see i think the C stand for centrifugal brake but i dont remember the D but it has a different brake on them just can think if the name getting old

4. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Ok, usually I try and figure the stuff out before asking and although when I searched the forum for some reason i didn't get the results, I did find out a lot by just reading...Go figure!

Also, Tim helped, ty Tim.

So here's some additinal info I found for anyone who comes along and reads this.

The L designation, as in CL3 has gold accents and a different spool.

In addition to the different gear ratio, the 600 series (5600, 6600) have a thumb bar instead of push button spool release.

A nice change for 2006 is that the 6500c3 has an improved/advanced carbon matrix drag. Apparantly it is very nice from user opinions.

The C stands for centrifugal break and the D stands for somehting else LOL.

Beyond that I have no clue as to the other markings and if there is a structural difference in any of the components

5. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    b=bushings. 3=3bearings cb=brake and bushings .....L =lefthanded.:crazy: :confused2:

6. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Just sent the following email to abu garcia:

To whome it may concern,

I have just spent the past hour trying to figure out the difference between all the reels you offer in the ambassadeur series as well as your higher end lines. It would be of great help if you would list on your website a big grid/chart that lists every model you carry and all the specs/features of each model. Who knows, you might even sell more of the higher end lines if people know the advantages/advancements.

At the very least, it will make prospective buyers be able to make the proper selection quickly and easily. You could even have the chart laminated and put up as an 81/2"x11" display at your distrubutors/sproting goods stores. I'm sure salespeople would also appreciate it.

Now, as to my lost hour (maybe more), If you send me a 6500C3 I'll call it even Haha.

Then I googled the phone number for the CEO and called him up but apparently its like 3am there now. Luckily I acan't understand when someone cusses meout in Sweedish. Actually, I'm just kidding about that last part.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think the D stands for Disengaging, as in disengaging level wind. The level wind does not go back and forth on these reels when you cast, only when you reel in.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    The "L" designation is for the ones that are sold in walmart if its left handed the number will end with a "1" i.e. 6001/6501 etc....

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Boy, am I cornfused now. Gonna go buy a Zebco 33, LMAO.

10. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Another difference is the 6000's have bushings I think and the 6500's have bearings

11. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    You are correct.

Also, saw a 6500CL3 at walmart today, marked down to $54. Noticed that the drag and screws on the side of the reel are black, not blueish/silver like the other's I've seen. I don't know if this is last years model or a 2006 marked down to a great price (or a special version of the model made just for walmart). Anyhow, I had already picked up one from dicks tonight and a rod. Got a real good deal on a 6500C3, $60 before tax, that included a 20% discount for it being open box and the display model. I'm happy. I think I found a nice rod to match it to also.