Question about 2 piece rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CatfishHateMe, Feb 3, 2007.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    has anyone ever heard of making a 2 piece rod one piece? the 2 rods i have are 10' 2 piece and i like 1 piece better. storage isnt really a problem since ill be able to get them in and out of the garage easy. is there anything i could put on them and sand it down with fine sandpaperuntil its smooth yet stronge? any rod builders on here have anyideas? thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You would probably be better served just to purchase a one piece rod. I don't think you can join them together and have the strength of a one piece. The joint area would still be the weakest link. And, lets face it, not everyone hooks into a world or state record fish. Your two piece rod will more than likely handle anything your gonna hook into, sad to say. Not everyone catches the "big" fish, most of us (and I do have to include myself) manage to hook into one or two thirty pounders, maybe forty pounders, and a two piece rod will handle then - provided you fish the rod properly. Your not gonna be able to pull the plug out of the bottom of the lake, but you probably could not do that with a one piece either.

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have heard some of the surf guys have epoxied both pieces together.

4. davy51

davy51 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    You can epoxy them

i have a three piece 12 footer that has been epoxied for over two years and have caught many fish and been hung up it seems to be ok no cracks around the joints yet

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just put some Vaseline on the insert, lol you will have a one piece rod!
    Seriously you will have a stronger rod if you just leave it alone. Remember the old adage(if it ain't broke don't fix it). If you want a one piece rod buy on or trade your two piece for one. Trying to epoxy to pieces together will not be stronger than the original ferrules.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jayson,
    All the above is good advice. Leave it a 2 piece. Gluing it together will not lose or gain you anything but what happens if you get invited to fish with someone and need to get your rod in a car or truck?...W

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    And, in spite of conventional wisdom, two piece rods are good rods. Mostly, failure at the ferrule is fisherman's fault with a good rod. If you want confirmation, you'll not find fly fishermen going around with 9 foot one piece rods, most have three and four piece rods and some those guys haul in some pretty big fish.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with the Guys who say if its 2 pcs leave it along if you just got to have a 1 pcs save up and get youself one:big_smile:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    If its a two piece rod, I would leave it be, and two piece rod will handle most cats out there.

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    now that i think about it its prolly the way to go to keep it 2 piece, but the only reason im nervous when it comes to 2 pieces is the fact that ive had a rod start to split from putting the rod together so many times. it was prolly my fault and thats it but i still cringe when i put 2 a piece rod together or cast hard with them.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Jayson, if it's a good quality rod, you shouldn't have any problems with the ferrule.

If the rod is of poor quality, all the epoxy in the world won't change a thing.

Btw, I've seen some epoxy joints fail after several years...not sure why.