Question AARP

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by r ward, Feb 4, 2008.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Even though I know there is noone old enough I would like some opions about the AARP like is it worth the money and time to join or is it all hype

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I joined and stayed with then one year. I did not see they saved me any money and did not like their political stand

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have AARP,,
    all I can say is we the people have been sold out.
    we payed our governor to look out for us.
    he sold us to the insurance companies.:angry:
    and big bizz!!!

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    retired from the insurance business. He told my husband Steve all AARP is is a Great Big Rip Off and to steer clear. Steve will be elgible for Medicare in June and he has no idea who he will supplement with but he says it will never be AARP!:big_smile:

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was once a member for a year... about 20 years ago. That's what I think of them. They are very liberal and have supported gun control

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I get nagged almost monthly to join them too, funds are tight now, but I never did see any advantage to them. Now its lookin like my thoughts about wasting money are confirmed. Thanks for the info. I don't have much time for anyone who wants to take my guns away. I can't stop the calendar, but I can survive just as well without joining a club that says I'm old. Could be just a bunch of folks who don't want to have a job so they start the AARP to have something to do and get paid for it. I'm not a tree hugger, but another magazine about retirement condos, golf courses, and all that seems a waste of paper to me.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    The "AARP" hasn't got a thing to do about being retired it's an insureance company and I don't need or want anything they have to sell.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    "I have been poked at by those suckers for a long time. I will have absolutely nothing to do with them or their politics or their stances." Period. End Quote

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Ward;
    Richard, the "aarp" started bothering me when I turned 45 several years back! I just kept throwing everything in the trash. When I turned 48 they started sending mailings on a semi-weekly basis, and when I turned 50 they were sending me literature EVERY WEEK and sometimes several times a week.
    I called them several times and told them I was NOT interested and that slowed the mailings down to once every 10 days! Finally, I got aggravated:angry: and sent them a FAX from my machine here at home. I told them I did NOT like their policies on Gun Control and I did NOT appreciate their harassment. I further told them that if they persisted in continued harassment that I would forward my complaint to my Elected State Officials and then signed my name. They quit bothering me in a hurry.
    I ended up having to do the same thing for my wife; Raven, because they don't recognize "home addresses" only individuals and thus while I got them off of my back, they continued, and in fact increased, the paper load going to my wife!
    I did the letter routine, had her sign it, and send another Fax.
    They don't bother us now although it did take them a couple of weeks to "process" our names out of their system!
    They take your name and send your information to every other person, business, institution, ect, that is associated with them but they deny saying so! I know this to be true because I contacted a couple of businesses that started sending literature, that I did Not ask for, and in fact found some to be offensive, and asked them how they got my name? I was told they use "aarp's" referral lists for their mailings.
    Personally, I don't need nor do I want their "services"! After passing 50 years on this planet a person should be able to make their own decisions about their life, what they want in it, and where they want to go, especially in this computerized information age we live in where a person can do their own research, plan their own vacations, and make their own arrangements for their trips and vacations.
    Personally, I abhor any organization that you have to be a certain age to join and have them run your life for you. I guess I am just too daggone hardheaded but I don't have enough money for things I want to do as it is, much less give it to some organization so they can lobby a politician and give it to those overpaid "Jerks".
    I'd say something besides "jerks" but this is a family board and I don't want to add to the moderators already overburdened time and services!
    I'm not saying don't join them, but I am saying that after a bit of investigation on my part, they are just not for me, nor my wife!
    Hope this helps you in your decision.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1 AND Raven. :big_smile:
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    As far as AARP insurance. I've compared their rates to State Farm several times. They can't come close. Another reason I've been with State Farm since 1962.

11. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Well it looks like what I thought is true thank you all that is what family is about