Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Question 97 merc.30hp electric start oil injected.

580 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jdstraka 
#1 ·
Hi Bob I have a question about my mercuary engin? I had the boat out yesterday and it would only run 13 mph. the motor is on an 18ft lund alaskan and it will useually run about 21mph with just me and my gear in the boat. I had the carbs rebuilt last fall and a new Fuel pump installed and tunned up and it has ran fine untill yesterday. before I take it out of the water I alwaye unhook the gas line and let it burn all the gas out of the gas line and carb. I was wondering whats going on as I plan on bringing it to the national gathering and fishing out of it with My two friends that are comming with Me.but now i'm concerned as I would hate to be cought out on that Big lake and have trouble. any suggestions on what might be going on? J.D.

#2 ·
First , use stabilizer in the fuel, if you don't already.

Second, quit running it out of gas. There's mixed feelings on that one, but it makes sense that when you run it out of gas (Lean), your loosing lubrication to your bearings in the crank case. Unless, of course, it's a 4 stroke.

Find the bowl plug on the carbs and drain it there, if it has to set up for any amount of time

Third, check for spark on all cylinders. Run it on a hose at the house, and with insulated pliers, pull off one spark plug wire at a time. If it stalls when you pull off a wire, replace it and go to the next wire. If it keeps running when you pull off the next wire, then that's the one with no spark.

Fourth, Check your fuel supply for water in it. If you've got a fuel filter on the engine, check it.

There's other checks I would do, that you may not have the tools for, but checking for spark and compression are the first two.

Checking the lower unit oil would also be one of the checks, but you said it was serviced in the Fall.

Get back with me or Bubba when you get the tests done and check your fuel.

#3 ·
Thank You Bob I will run all the checks you Mentioned and get back with you. J.D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.