Quatum Big Cat or Wildcat Troph-E-Cat rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catchaser1, Jul 12, 2007.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    So how much are these rods alike and different besides the price difference of about 20 dollars, I know the quatum are pretty good quality, just dont know anything about the wildcats.

2. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    ive heard that come from the same stable, if you use circle hooks they have a soft tip, perfect for circle!

3. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I now have bought both of these rods and they are almost identical. The only difference is the cork handle is a little bigger on the troph e cat, action is about the same on the trophe e cat mh and the quantum m action.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have several Quantum Big Cat rods in a m/h action and they do an excellent job. Never had a problem. I think you will like them.:big_smile:

5. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    we will just have to see, I may change my mind, but I believe some mistakes are going to made on any rod, unless its custom hand made, just my opioion! Maybe I got some good ones, who knows:big_smile:

6. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Quantom did have some rods that made it out into the public that were'nt quite up to snuff, but have since corrected the error. If you have a big cat that gives you a problem call them and they will fix the problem! I had 2 big cat medium heavy action and a "friend" of mine told me that they may be a couple from that particular time period, so I called Quantom and they sent me 2 "new" rods! I havent had any problems with the new ones yet. I really like the way they feel and "load" up! I also have several other brands of nice rods, but I like the "big cats":big_smile:

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My buddy has 8 of the Quantum Big Cat rods and he loves them. He's caught 70+lb flatheads on them and several over 50. He's never had one break and when we were fishing for blues this winter we'd use 5oz sinkers and 1/2lb baits and they threw them with ease. I dunno, I'm sure that there are some that are crap which is with any rod. I just bought a couple of the Am. Spirit Night Stick Pro model rods and they seem to be every well built. I caught a nice flathead on one last night and whooped him fairly easily on it. Just a thought.

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have a Troph-E-Cat rod and it is a good rod as long as you don't use braided line(spiderwire,etc.). I used spiderwire on mine and after fighting a couple big fish the line had cut grooves in the chrome rod tip.

9. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Mine doesnt have a chrome tip, its black like the rest of the eyes

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a Quantum M/H Bigcat rod, and I love it. I know there have been some instances where one failed, but that can happen regardless of who makes the rod. Ugly sticks advertise the unbreakable-ness of their rod tips; people brag about how unbreakable they are; but the only Ugly Stick I ever owned broke at the tip about halfway between the tiptop and the second eye. I took it to the rod & reel shop and had an eye put on the broken end, and it's been a good rod ever since.

11. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    Quantum leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have 6 rods that are quantums and are about 6 years old. A super rod and never had any problems. I bought 6 new ones last spring and every rod broke right above the reel seat. Not to metion I talked 2 buddy's into ordering the same time so it would be cheaper and there's did the same thing. I called back then and they wanted me to pay for the shipping to send them back. I have all five of the handles now sitting in my hang out room to remind me. I show every person that shows up to make sure they don't buy them because that's what I told Zebco I was going to do for not taking care of them. There my 2 cents worth......

12. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just got 2 in. Mine doesn't have a chrome tip either. Looks like the Fuji type guides with ALOT of clearcoat on them. Haven't fished with them yet but my med. heavy poles seem to flex about 1/3rd of the way down the pole. Seem like sturdy poles, time will tell.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My Bigcat is about 6 years old, too. Talking about changes in quality, I've got 2 custom made river rods made from 14' Fenwick blanks years and years ago. Someone told me that Fenwick had outsourced the manufacture of these blanks to China, and that they didn't perform nearly as well as the old blanks made in America. Maybe the same thing happened to the Bigcats.

14. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went fishing last night and caught a sturgen on one of my E-cats. Man I love those things. It went airborne 4 times. Rods have alot of backbone in them for med hvy.

15. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Still havent had any problems with the new big cats, i believe they are ok, they must have corrected the problem. The trophe cat rod is just as good as these rods so far, and they are half the price, just dont like the cork handle being bigger at the bottom.