Quantum Reels - Never Again!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Whiskers4U, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    I recently purchased a Qauntum Snap Shot SS1 Spinning the other day to fish with. I went fishing with it the same day and after only 20 casts the part of the reel that sits in the reel seat on the rod split in two pieces. This has to be the cheapest piece of garbage I ever bought in my entire life. To make matters worse...I emailed the company and believe it or not they said I am out of luck!!!!! They out right refused to send me a replacement. They have lost a customer for LIFE! I will never purchase a reel, rod or anything else made by that company. I told them how a fly rod company sent me a replacement rod when it broke in 2 days with no questions asked...their response....B.S.!!! This is their customer service people by the way... So the next time your think about purchasing a product made by Quantum...THINK TWICE. I got burned and I definitely don't want you to go through what I did.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you for posting. Whoever is in their customer Service Department should be fired immediately for speaking to you like that. But if in fact they refuse to help you then I truly thank you for posting. I will stay clear of such outfits. I thought they were linked up with Zebco,and I have never had a problem with Zebco.Thank you for letting us know! Reps to ya!:big_smile:

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    This is getting to be typical in the society we live in. Most companies, like Quantum, sell globally, so why should they be concerned about only one customer??

4. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Kevin

Something went wrong with your request to Qauntum. I've never had any problems with them.

I once bought a spinning reel on sale from Walmart that the complete handle assembly was missing.
    I contacted them and asked if I could purchase another handle assembly and the cost. They said no problem. Instead of them sending just the handle assembly they sent me a complete reel FREE...not even shipping charges.

I don't think anyone gives better service than that ! !

If I had a reel that broke that soon after purchasing it would be back to the store where it came from for refund. No matter who makes whatever from time to time there will be a product with defects.

If you can't take it bact to store CALL Qauntum and explain problem and ask what they can do to help you. Demanding doesn't work asking goes a lot farther.

Jesse168

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I agree with Jesse.

6. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    I never had a problem with any other manufacturer sticking behind their products except with Quantum. I am glad that you didn't go through what I did. For me its a done deal....no more products from them ever. There are plenty of better ones out there anyway. I was fishing with 5 other guys at the time my reel broke and they all were more upset them me that the reel fell apart. It might have been a selected incident but the way I was treated by them....Total disreguard for customer satisfaction let alone being nice to a customer...One incident like that is one to many for me.... I am moving on....Shimano...Abu Garcia.... but no more Zebco Quantum stuff more me.

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    quantum is just dollar store stuff anyhow!:lol:

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I bought a Quantum Spinning combo for the wife a couple weeks ago and the very next day the handle fell off and went in the lake on just the second cast. Took it back to Bass Pros and bought another brand. I've usually had pretty good luck with them in the past. Think I'll stay from them from here on out too.

9. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There seems to have been some changes at Zebco/Quantum. They now do not reference each other or have links to each others sites, and Bill Dance is missing from both sites.

They seem to both be in Tulsa, Ok, 2 address' away.

In the last 10/15 years I have notices a much lower quality. The rock solid 33's and 1's of the past are gone. I have had newer 33's self destruct after being used 2-3 times. I am sure the same is true for some Quantum products.

I have had plastic parts break on some ABU Garcia spinning reels, I e-mailed ABU requesting the price and in a few days received the part in the mail, free. These reels were 5 + years old.

The parent company is The W. C. Bradley Co., is a 118-year-old, privately owned company, headquartered in Columbus, Georgia. Founded as a “cotton factoring” business, the company heritage includes operating diverse businesses in industries including textiles, farm implement manufacturing, row crop and livestock production, wholesale supply businesses meeting the needs of industrial and building contractors, retail businesses in outdoor sports equipment and licensed sports apparel, and barbecue grill manufacturing.

W.C. Bradley Brands
    -Char-Broil Lamplight Zebco Quantum Rhino Lews Martin Van Staal Tiki Thermos Grill Lover's

You might want to let the parent company know you fellings about their products.

Below are extracts from both Zebco and Quantum, read the same except for the address.

QUANTUM PRODUCT WARRANTY INFORMATION

Quantum products are warranted for a period of one (1) year from date of original retail purchase against defects in workmanship and/or materials. Purchaser should return defective products postage prepaid, insured with proof of purchase direct to Quantum at 6101 E. Apache, Tulsa, OK 74115. Quantum will repair or replace products at its option and return direct to purchaser.

ZEBCO PRODUCT WARRANTY INFORMATION

Zebco products are warranted for a period of one (1) year from date of original retail purchase against defects in workmanship and/or materials. Purchaser should return defective products postage prepaid, insured with proof of purchase direct to Zebco at 6105 E. Apache, Tulsa, OK 74115. Zebco will repair or replace products at its option and return direct to purchaser.

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've had the same experience with other companies. You won't see me buying any Springfield Armory products for the same reason. Other people get good customer service, but they refused to do anything for me.

I've never bought a Quantum product because they just looked cheap to me. Now, I have yet another reason not to buy from them.

Thank you for your post.

11. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I think it is a problem with your sales outlet ( ie Walmart) instead of a quantum problem. I own several quantum products and have never had any problems with them. On the other hand the only reels I do have problems with are Penn, Okuma and they have great warranty dept. Abu Is by far the worst several times I have sent things into them only to have them get lost and never returned or double charged for repairs.

12. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    I think I am more disapointed with Quantum's customer service agent that handled my problem than the fact my reel is piece of junk. I never talked to someone who was more rude and non-caring than than this guy. He seemed to careless whether my reel broke or not. Granted this reel was not a $100.00 reel but man...I thought it last me longer than one day on the water. Some companies have awesome customer service people working for them and others should be working in another occupation than with dealing with cutomer relations.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You know I have bought 100$ reels and wore them out quicker then anything. Reels just don't hold up as well as some people hope they do. I have a quantum bait casting reel that is holding up just nice. But I will give the slite edge to my Shimano's. As far as the service department helping you I dunno. I have never had trouble dealing with any service department. Maybe it was you that should be at fault here. Did something land on your reel wrong did you drop it, did you lay something on top of it when traveling. Or maybe it was your attitude on the phone. I don't jump up for joy when someone is snotty with me on the phone...

14. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    I never dropped the reel or anything. I recently got to talk to a person who used to work for Quantum years ago he said that the reel that I purchased simply is NOT made like it was before. He told me the newer model which I have has a design flaw. They took a few shortcuts and made the part that actually fits the reel seat thinner which leads to stress fractures with very little effort. He told me that he wasn't suprised at my reel breaking at all. Oh well...I guess you get what you pay for.

15. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have the high end Quantum Cabo reels that have performed flawlessly. I never fished with that reel, but each manufacturer has over the years put out one of those reels that have failed miserably. Years back Quantum had a bait runner that did not fare to well. White metal gears do not make for a long term reel when mesh to a bronze.

Even Penn put out their first graphite reel back in the 80's that were shoddy. ie Penn 240GR

Abu put out the Abu Garcia Seven that was at best an imitation to the 7000. It was a lackluster reel that was a poor imitation of an Abu.

16. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Last year I had a Quatum openface reel break on me. It casted great but couldn't stand to up a big flathead. That really pissed me off when your reeling ina big fish and suddenly the reel falls apart. I agree with the opening statement on this, NEVER AGAIN.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Buy your stuff at Wal-Mart next time. You can use it for a year and then run over it with a M1 tank and they'll still take it back... :roll_eyes:

18. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Buy one of the big 3 (Shimano,Abu Garcia,Daiwa)and have fun and if something doe's happen you will not get the runaround from them you do get what you pay for theses days.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    the best reels I've owned for durability and dependibility are the Quantum 1310 baitcasters.
    I traded a brand new 115.00 dollar Daiwa pt-33p for a 10 year old 1310 and would do it again in a heart beat.

I used to repair some reels when I worked in tackle and built rods.
    Zebco and Quantum products were always the easiest to fix. Put them in a box and ship them. 9-10 times the customer got a new reel and a higher end model for 9-15 bucks shipping costs.

I've taken junk reel parts (All Zebco) and partially assembed something that looked like a Zebco. Bet a guy 20 bucks I'd get a new reel and shipped it off.
    5 days later I got a new reel.

Been fishing with the same 1310's for 18-20 years. Thats bass fishing. Casting and reeling over and over.

20. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I recently bought 2 of those snapshots at walmart, to add with my mithcell spinning rods. And I don't like them. Mine haven't broke yet but they're very clunky feeling. I don't think I'll keep them long. In my oppinion Mitchell makes the best spinning reel with the 300 and 308 series. I've had extreemly good service out of them.