Quantum Irons (410 or 420)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Mac-b, May 11, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have six Quantum Irons that are used at least 200 days a year. They were given to me by a Rep. for Zepco/Quantum in 2001. They have been cleaned and lubed just once in the past seven years. The only service they get from me is a little oil about every 90 to 120 days. These reels have never failed me, not one time since day one. There is one thing I do with all my reels and that is, I back off the star drag when I'm thru fishing.

They hold the same amount of line as an Abu Garcia. The Abu has a louder clicker than the Quantum and that is the only difference I can see or hear.

If you ever see one for sale cheap, you ought to snatch it up, you will not regret it.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I hear you Mac-I wish I knew where to get a couple more. :confused2: I've got an IR4, a 410, two 320's, a 420 and a 430. Some of the best reels I've ever used.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Do they still make these? If so how do they compare price wise?

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I haven't been able to find one for 5-6 years. When they were new, the 20 series were around $90, and the 30 series were $130.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats great, I never use a Quantum reel becuase I am a Abu diehard fan.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That should have said-the 3 series were around $90, and the 4 series around $130.

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    CountryHart, I Google to see if any were available, did not find the 410 or 420. It appears that Quantum has gone to the slim down type reels for bass and redfish fisherperson. I'm sure there are some out there, you might want to check with your local bait shop owner and see if he can order one or two from one of his suppliers.

8. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was in BassPro around Five years ago a bought a couple Quantum IR 325 reels, they were around $100.00 marked down to $49.00. I didn't know anything about them, but after using them I called back down to get a couple more and they were gone. Discontinued and sold out. I am still using the same Two reels and they have been Flawless. I would definitely by more if I could find them cheap. The ones I bought don't have the level wind but it hasn't been a problem for me.

9. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have never owned either of those reels, but I have heard good things about them I have bidded on ebay without any success hope to get one one day

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Dex, what price are they getting for the 410 or 420 ?

11. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mac, I love those Iron reels. Harold Dodd turned me on to them about 4 yrs. ago. I was able to luck up and get mine on Ebay. I just sold 2-IR320's to my Dad when I upgraded to the newer Cabo's. You're right about loosening the drags when not in use. I do that myself. I believe the Irons are a highly underated catfishing reel.

12. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice shape I have seen in the 40's which is not bad it's just I have been outbidded.

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I would like to own a round IR410CX Quantum reel. I can't seem to find anyone who sells them. :crazy:

Attached Files:

14. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    CJ I'm a diehard Abu fan myself, but those Quantum 410CX reels look sweet. :wink:

15. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THEY STILL MAKE THE 410 CX HOLDS 200yds OF 20lb AND IT'S A 6:3:big_smile::big_smile: