Quantum Iron

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Rajun_Cajun, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well i was watching an episode of bill dance the other day and he was on the mighty Mississippi river trolling for blues. and what he was using was a quantum big cat rod which i know are already pretty good, but for the reel he was usuing, he was using a quantum iron. i wasnt sure if any of you have used those in the past or just have heard good things about them. but if you have heard anything good about the reel, please share you information with me. thanks :roll_eyes:

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Cajun, Brad K just had a Big Cat rod break at the reel seat, and other people say that their stuff isnt so good, so maybe its a good thing I didnt get one :wink:. Anyways, the Iron (at least the one Dance was using) looks a little bit too featherweight for the really big fish that you can catch around here. Maybe ok for a channel cat or medium sized fish setup, but I would much rather have my Penn than that thing. :big_smile:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The quantum Iron is a good reel, but no longer made.

4. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hey barbel if you say its kinda featherweight and only made for channels and smaller fish, then why did he catch a 30 pound blue and other good sized blues on it lol. oh snap brad K had one break on him!!!! HA! pwned

5. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Bulldaddy just picked up a QI last month and his looks to be plenty of reel for any freshwater fish I could imagine.

6. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I bought 2 Quantum Big Iron IR425CX reels brand new in the box. Brass gears, aluminum spool, aluminum sides supporting the gear train, 4 bearing system, lever clutch, high speed 6.1:1 return ratio (ever full rotation of handle is 33" of line return), audible bait click, and 300 yards of 20 lb mono line capacity. I plan on buying 4 or 5 more of them. The reels I have don not have a level wind which allows for longer cast. The 425IX ( I think)has a levelwind. Like Sgt Rob said, I don't see any freshwater fish that you couldn't land with one of these reels. Here is a few pix of the 2 I have now.

Attached Files:

7. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Couple more pix.

Attached Files:

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I think a 30 pounder is widely considered a medium sized fish. Not really that small, but not as big as it could be either. And the bigger models would probably be ok(like BullDaddy's), but Dance was using the little one. I hope I clarified well enough :smile2:

9. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    lol i dont think the little on is that small. but i guess im wrong and your right cause thats always how it is lol

10. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hey bulldaddy how many models are there anyway? also were can you buy them?

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Corey,
    Minnesota Bait has a few Iron reels left.

12. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I know Quantum is still making the IR410CX (200 yards/20 lb mono) for '06. As for other models check out E-Bay. I have seen the 400, 410, 425, and the 435 series. I got both of mine unused, new still in the box for 80 bucks (100 after shipping and insurance). I haven't tried Minnesota Bait yet, gonna go check it out as soon as I get off of here.

13. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    isnt there another place up in KC that has some really cool stuff. im not sure of the name but i thought i have heard guys on here talking about it

14. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Holy Cow! the smaller quantum Iron is 90.00$!!!!!

15. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Cory, that is the only place that I have heard of up in KC besides Brown's Baits, and that is in Olathe. Minnesota Baits is supposed to be a pretty cool place...if we can get a ride there :lol:.

16. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    you got that right dude, unless both are parents aren't to anal about it. :lol:

17. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a Quantum Big Iron and I love it. I wish they didn't quit making them. I have the levelwind and you can't find them anywhere. I look on ebay all the rime and they only have the non levelwind. I sure hope I can find another one sometime. I have the IR330 and it is sweet.

18. cab9379

cab9379 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey bull daddy where did you get your irons because they say there not made anymore. I was watching infisherma n the other day and they were hauling in the big ones with no problem,. Just wondering were to get them and if anybody had any knowledge on what model iron they were using on the show. thanks.

19. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I have had six IRON reels for 3-5 years and the only problem I have had is one broken level wind pin. I think they are great reels and am surprised they have quit making them. I guess I better get to looking for parts for mine before they discontinue the parts!

20. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I bought mine off Ebay. When got them, there were several that I was watching.