Quantum Great White Reels (casting)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by H2O Mellon, Jul 1, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Boy these things look GREAT for Big Time Flathead action. They are made espically for Cabelas by Qunatum. Does anyone have any experience w/ them. Here is some info:

Specifically made for the demands of saltwater trolling. Both the center shaft and shielded ball bearings are stainless steel to withstand saltwater climates. Die-cast aluminum frame is lightweight, yet rigid and strong. Crank down the Multi Stack Drag System to subdue big fish with ease. Composite side covers with stainless steel rings. Titanium nitride line guide. Machined-aluminum spool. They will hold up to 430 yards of 30# test.

Here is a picture

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lets try this again: Here is a pic.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it does look good btu whats the cost and how does a trolling reel cast? I have to go to cabelas online and check this out.

4. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    that thing looks like its built like a tank. but laidbk has a good point how will it cast for a trolling reel.

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Whew, 430 yards of 30# line. I would have to have a wagon to haul it around, much less try to cast it. Sounds like a good one to use to pull the boat up out of the water, from the other side of the lake or river..lol

6. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    That looks real close to my Cabo CLW20. I havent fished with it yet but for being levelwind it cast a mile. Which isnt bad for a trolling reel.

7. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    it could be a cabo after all the reel is especially made for cabelas.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That reel looks exactly like the zebco blue runner reel I bought a few years ago, if it is the same reel, I would not reccomend it at all.

9. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    seems like if quantum made the reels it would have to be decent.

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If you need 430 yards of 30#, you might want to buy a good reel. When I say good I mean proven. Any of the smaller penns or bigger abus are easy to find parts for and you can give them to your grandchildren some day if you don't lose them. A bargain isn't fun when you have to buy it's replacement!

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think casting would be a problem, it has a level wind. The reels are normally $79.99 but are on sale right now for $59.99.

I have a hard time buying anything other than Abu's I guess. Every cat reel I have in an Abu, but I did like the look of these.

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    A level wind has nothing to do with casting ease. 6500's and 7000's and more abus have casting brakes on the spool. I don't know what else they have that makes them cast better than trolling reels but there is a big difference.

13. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think they cast easier because it seems like the free spool is better. I cast every reel on free spool. Just the way i learned and it is hard to break a habbit. You try one for awhile and you will become an expert with both. Dont get me wrong the abu 7000 i have is a great caster.

14. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Bryan you're going to have to keep one hand on that one all the time. That's a fine looking reel, and man the line alone will make it heavy. Someone see's that gold on the spool and you may have to practice the P&R....punch and release!:ah:
    Don

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I for one can cast a level wind MUCH easier than a non level wind reel, but thats just me. So for me PERSONALLY the level wind does have a lot to do w/ casting, but like I said, that just me.

16. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats the same one I use to retrieve my anchor.LOL Great looking reel!

17. rmokti2005

rmokti2005 New Member

State:
    *Required*
    That doesn't look bad to me ....