Quantum bigcat rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by micah5634, Dec 4, 2006.

1. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    Does anyone know if the Quantum bigcat rods have a trigger on the casting rods catfish connection says they do under the product info but i cannot find a pic to see for sure.

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Yep the Quantum Big Cat Casting Rods do have a trigger.:wink:

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    YEs they do, I have two mh and one heavy. THey are good catfish rods for the money. ONly bad thing is the inserts in the eyes.

4. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    Great i really like my rods to have a trigger guess i will have to try one with a new 07 abu 6500 big game. thanks for the info

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i hate triggers:tounge_out: cuz i hold my rods ALWAYS using the foregrip. the rear grip is basicly useless to me unless im trying to get unsnagged,

6. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    Let's start off by saying I bought 6 Quantum Big Cats about 3 years ago that I still have and wouldn't trade them out for anything. Last year I bought 3 more and a buddy bought 4. All 7 rods broke at the handle where to cork meets the rod. I notices that the end of the cork handle was a different color with the new ones. I beleive they are made a little cheaper now then they use to be. I would love to find out what happened and if they have taken care of the problem or not. As of right now you couldn't give me a Quantum Big Cat rod.........Jeremy

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If there are problems with the rod as Jeremy says, I'd go with an Ugly Stick Tiger for a bit more money or the Ugly Stick 1120 for about $45. I've two of the latter and they're great rods.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Interesting. I bought 2 Big Cat rods earlier this summer, used them successfully for several trips and then broke one of them trying to get un-snagged, exactly as you described. Don't think I put excessive pressure on the rod or anthing; the things just snapped in half.

I've since bought some custom-made rods that I'm pretty confident will stand up to all the abuse I can throw at them for quite a while.

The rods I bought had an "A" at the end of the model number; my fishing buddy DougC also uses the Big Cat rods and has never had a problem - his are a couple years old or more and don't have the "A" at the end of the model number. Wonder if that's got something to do with it??

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I have five total, only problem being one of the inserts popping out of the guide(my fault). That's my only complaint about these rods, I wish they had stainless guides.

I will be in the market for a couple of new rods this year, but only because I have been hearing about a rod designed by John Jamison. If anyone's qualified to design a Missouri River Blue cat rod, it would be him.

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Sounds like Quantum needs to improve the big cats. So far I have not had any problems but I don't use the big cats everyday and have not hooked a big one yet on one.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Don't like the looks of that at all. I think I will stick to the Catfishsafari rods for the big river.LOL

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Demetrius, I think that's what Marty uses. Marty where are you? And Demetrius when are you coming back up this way?

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah, I've got 3 of those catfishsafari rods and love them, though haven't been able to give them much of a real test yet. But they can fling a 12 oz weight just fine.

15. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    I'm glad to here that me and my buddy weren't the only ones with problems. I will have to check my older ones compares to the newer ones and see if the new ones have an A at the end of the modle number. Just thought I would keep other from going through the same money I did................Jeremy

16. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    The catfishsafari rods are nice, I just need to catch a hawg on one to prove its worth. LOL

17. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    looks like i might have to rethink this quantum rod idea