Quantum Big Cat Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by IndyMedicGuy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone use the Quantum Big Cat rods? Anyone have any thoughts good or bad on them?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Do a search on this forum. There's lots of comments about the Big Cat rods, not many of them positive.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kris I have three of the Med/Hvy rods. I have had no problems with them and really like them. However they did run a production with some that was bad. I think they have corrected the problem.

4. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    I'm with Mickey here, nothing but good luck with the one's that I own. I especially love them when fishing heavy sinkers (12oz and 16oz). Makes it easy to cast them with the medium heavy rods.l

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Everyone that i know that does any amount of fishing don't like them. Make sure you take that into account when you start reading post on who fishes and who just blows smoke.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats just a rude post!!! I know people who actually do fish, caught big fish and like them!!!
    Its just like you're saying the guys above don't fish or haven't fished.....:angry:......:confused2:
    Maybe you're just the Know All Pro or something.........

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I fish at least of 3 times a week from late Feb through October

I've broken EVERY quantum big cat rod I've ever owned. You couldn't give Me one now.

Easy on ole Josh He's My friend and tourney partner. He just calls 'em like he see's 'em. Josh and I kinda live By the same montra "anything worth doing is worth over doing."

Josh and I fish more then most guys and put our gear through an abnormal amount of use in one season. What works for some folks just don't cut it with what We demand out of our fishing gear. This is the main reason We use Catfish Safari Rods now. We knew We had found a winner when We met Steve Brown and saw the kind of use He and His clients put on equipment in a season. We fish a ton, But Steve guides and fishes even more! If they can hold season after season for Steve then they are tough enough for us and more then tough enough for the "normal" catfisherman

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    John, I'm with you on this one. Alot of "Crazy" Josh's posts come across as rude or unthoughtful towards BOC brothers. If you're curious just go check most of his posts. He thinks if you aren't using the same equipment he is, then your a lousy fisherman, and I call BULL$HIT on that! :smile2:I use the Big Cats and they work just fine for me. But, I try to take good care of my stuff. I don't have money just laying around to go buy more if they break. Funny how BradK always comes to Josh's defense when he stir's some folks up! LOL!:wink:

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i have the spinning rod and have had no problems with it, only thing i do not like is that it is a little stiff for my liking. have had it for 3 and a half years and yes i put a lot of hours in on the water with it(except for this year so far my plans on fishing excursions this year have been messed up by weather,work,and personal stuff but will be getting out more starting with this weekend) and it is a moderately priced rod to start out with. you can always upgrade later if you wish to.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i agree with you catfish that was a rude post

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I was being easy Brad, I don't take cheap shots or downgrade what a members opinion or experience is on here to anyone!!! I didn't say anything bad about Josh other than it was rude and pretty much uncalled for.That post just pretty much said Mickey and Crane don't fish and was rude. I've personally met Mickey and know he used to fish constantly and has caught some real nice fish. I also consider him a friend. I'm glad you all can afford Steve's Rods, they seem like great rods but not everyone can afford them, especially me. Except for you guys that use Steve's rods, I've heard nothing good about the Big Cats. If he would have just left it without saying that last part, no big deal. Just seemed like an unfair shot to me.
    Just be glad you guys are healthy enough to get out and fish that much, with all the problems I've been having I haven't been able to fish in over a month and its looking like a while longer before I can.

12. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    All I use is my power ranger pole and I have got some monsters.

13. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    ive fish with a big cat rode for 2 yrs now plus i bounce my bait at one of the nastys snag dam on the ohio. I caught tons of fish in the 40 and 50 and one that was in the 70s. Never had a problem with the rod. Some times people let the weights bang on the eyelets or just dnt got the skill to fish not horse. HOW DID U BREAK THEM..

14. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Two broke right above the reel seat during a cast, the other broke swinging a 2-3 lb fish into the boat. I always remove My weights when I'm done fishing. I also had trouble with the inserts poping out of the eyes.

Glad they are working out for some but they didn't do so well in My boat.

15. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    In 2001, I started tournament fishing and Quantum furnished me six Quantum rods and six Quantum reels (model 410). I used the rods for several years and then switch to Ugly Sticks due to different fishing conditions. I do not have any major current where I'm currently fishing and do not have to use heavy weights. But if I did, I would pull the Quantums back out and use them. I took a trip to the James River in March and fished with Capt. Hughs, he uses Quantum rods and he fishes heavy current and catches trophy cats. Would I buy them with my own money, rather than having them given to me, the answer is yes, if I was going to fish heavy current. I am still using the Quantum reels, about 200 days a year, wish they still made them. Mac

16. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Mac,

I've heard nothing but good things about the old quantum reels, but the reviews are quite mixed with the big cat rods. some have trouble some don't. You know the deal when you start outsourcing work to china you just don't know what Your gonna get

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Ain't that the truth Brad!!!!! Sad but True!!!:sad2:

18. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Crazy I'm not an expert on quantum rods and never indicated such.I gave Kris my experience I had with mine and indicated their had been a production problem in the past. As for as blowing smoke. Your out of line. Maybe this is the way you treat people you have never met and know nothing about. I have fished most of my life and have used lots of different equipment. Some good some bad. However during the last two years I have fished very little. I have Kidney failure. Be glad you have good health and still young enough to fish. Someday that could change. I wish you lots of luck in the future.

19. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I was not aware that these Quantum rods were now outsourced to China. I personally don't like to buy anything made in china. When did this start?

20. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Never used the Big Cat rods, myself. And I'm especially not very much for buying anything "Made in China". I'll go outta my way and pay more if I have to for it to say "Made in USA". Sadly, that's fewer and farther between, though and all the more 'made in china'... :-/