quantum big cat rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Brandon05l, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Brandon05l

Brandon05l New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    are they a good rod for the big ones these one i got is a 10 foot

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    2 biggest fish I've caught on my 7'6" one were a 25# Blue and a 33# Blue, havent had anything bigger grab it. I have heard nightmare stories about them breaking on big fish and about a month ago there were like 6 of them returned and broken at the local bait store. I just hope I dont have that problem when the big one grabs mine. Price is decent though and at BP here they have the Bill Dance(same thing except orange/white) 7'6" on clearance for $19.99

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've put a couple 80+lb blues in the boat with them and several 60+lbers. I've had no problems.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Used them before I went with the KC Rod Shop rods and never had a problem. Caught my biggest blue (59.9) on one!

5. bobbybobber

bobbybobber New Member

State:
    wv
    i like the one i got,other then its all black and it's hard to see at night

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I don't think that the Bill Dance rods are even close to the Big Cats. The Bill Dance rods that I've handled are much more flexible and much lighter in weight than the Big Cat rods with the same ratings. I'v used Big Cats before and I wouldn't even consider putting the Bill Dance rods through the same abuse.

7. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 4 of them and my Dad has 4 of them. Mine are the newer 7'-10" models in Medium Heavy. We hardly ever fish at night, so the dark blank is not an issue for us. Quantum did have a few issues with the rod breaking right above the handle. I talked to an engineer there and assured me the new blanks were of much better quality. I'm not telling you what to buy, but they are good rods for the money. Pick the rod that "you" like and buy it. I bought mine prior to the jeremy leach rods and team catfish rods being available. They are both BOC sponsors. I would've given them a shot if they'd been available beforehand. Good luck with your choice.

8. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I had the tip on one quantum big cat break, it was because it rapped up in a net though while landing a fish. Still probably should not have snapped that easy. The other one is still going strong and I have caught some 20-30 lb blues on it. I like it, but I don't love it. The dark blank color is not great at night. Just somethings to consider. Good luck on your purchase :big_smile:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have three of them in M/H and would recommend them to others. My only negative is the big handles. They will not fit in some rod holders.

10. Brandon05l

Brandon05l New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one and love it! I am a St. Croix guy, but for the money, they are fine in my opinion....rollo

12. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have 1 spinning and 2 casting. The problems I've had are the ceramic eye inserts. They chip and crack makeing sharp edges that will cut line. Keep a good check on the eye inserts. Quantum has replaced several rods for me due to this issue so they do stand behind the product but the worry and hassel is not worth buying anymore. And the spinning rod I have to keep the end eye sanded down due to the line cuts a grove in it and I run mono line. The end eye on the spinning rod is made out of all metal but it must be soft! If Quantum would up grade the eyes on the rods they would have a good rod for the money.

13. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i have 2 and love out west here
    i fish the lower colorado and some smaller canals and rivers for flats and cannot complain
    they are meat n potato rods for me
    a 7-10 20-50 and a 20-40
    i love em and i also have the quantum cabo pts clw20 reels on em
    best cat reels i have owned
    only complaint is clicker is not loud enough

14. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    I stand corrected, the Bill Dance Rod is not the same as the Big Cat. I was at Bass Pro today and I know my Big Cat is H action and the bill dance on clearance for $19.99 was M/H but I compared it to the M/H Glow sticks I use and even they were a little stronger than the Bill Dance. I like my glow sticks but after catching numerous 20s and 30s as well as a 44 and a 53 on the glowsticks, they just dont seem to have the backbone that I was looking for, but obviously they got the job done, just dont know how'd they do on a 70+. So I bought another 7' M/H Ugly Stik Tiger for my 7000i, I will put a Ming Yang on my other Glow stick

15. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have three matched with Shimano Charter Special lever drag reels. They eat 40-50 pounders for breakfast and have seen two 80's get a butt whupping before they came in the boat. I would buy another. I use mono line and have had no problems with these rods.

16. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Found a 7'10" Heavy Quantum Big Cat yesterday at Greentop for $50 had to snatch it up, now I just gotta find another Okuma 450L, I love that combination with 300 yds of Red 80# PP :wink:

17. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ramon, i really like these rods. i have 4 of them in the new 7'10" length. talked to an engineer at quantum prior to buying them and he assured me there would be NO problems with these blanks like a few probs the earlier big cats had. said they were also using a better quality reel seat than before. i have all 4 mated to the quantum cabo clw20's spooled w/ 100 lb power pro and 80 lb ande leaders.

18. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I like them, it does appear to have a few different things going on. I had a 7'6" with an Okuma 450L with red 80#PP, today I bought another 450L for $34 and put it on the 7'10", then I respooled them both with 80# hi vis-yellow PP and rigged them up, dieing to go out and try them now

19. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i have the same out west here, heavy 7'10" big cat rods with cabo clw 20's
    best setup ever,i love it have no complaints and they will whup on any cat i know of
    how do u like the clw's?
    drags are superior strong and smooth as butter
    where can u get parts for the cabo
    i have both 7'10 models and i love those too
    think quantum is a good gear
    all my bass reels are quantum pt tour editions and no probs there either
    thanks ,good to see some one else using that gear
    cali cat rat:cool2:
    ps ramon what is that okuma you speak of?
    i have none and do not know a lot about them,seems u do?
    iyo let me know out west here:wink:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  20. ramon06

State:
    Alabama

Cali Cat, oh its a great reel, its the Okuma 450L, good drag, loud clicker, casts pretty far, biggest fish I've caught on it is a 25LB Blue and I handed it to a first time Catfisherman who uses nothing but spinning reels and he reeled it in with no problems. I'm waiting to test out my brand new one with the 7'10" Big Cat on a 50LBer or better, that would be very nice. Best thing about the reel its only $32. At that price I may buy one more as a back up for my other 2. :wink:

Attached Files: