Quantum Big Cat question

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by EsoxJohnny, Jul 6, 2006.

1. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm going to be purchasing a Quantum Big Cat rod and I was wondering what action to get. Nobody carries these rods locally so I'll have to order one and won't be able to check out the difference before I buy. It will be a casting rod, using 2-3oz. weight, I fish a slow to moderate current and will targeting flatheads that average teens to 20's with fish up to 40lbs. My concern is that the M/H might be too stiff, but the M might be too soft. Can anyone with some experience with these rods help me out.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Esox I can.t help with the rods btu I can bump this back to the top so others can see it that may be able to help.

3. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    the MH big cat is almost perfect for what your looking for....15-40 line rating and 2-5 weight rating.
    honestly ive never seen a M action big cat only MH and HVY..not saying they dont have em tho...i say go with the MH big cat you wont be disapointed. good luck

4. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    John, sounds like the MH is the one for you. I have 2 of them. They are stout rods with a somewhat flexible tip. However, if you're still interested in a M action Big Cat, I know of a company where you can order one from. Just send me a PM and I'll hook you up with the info. Hope this helps!

5. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    I'd go MH for sure. Sounds perfect for your use.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd go with MH. Heavy might jsut be too stiff for what you are wanting.

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If the fish in the area are around 10-20, the medium heavy looks good.

8. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    The Medium would actually be your best choice, however, as far as I can tell, they no longer offer that action. Catfish rods seem to be built more to impress anglers than thay are to land catfish. I have some of each action, and the M/H is too heavy for most catfishing in the US. The Heavy is simply too much for anything, short of sturgeon.

9. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mike, evidently you've never fished the upper Mississippi River, say from Memphis going north. I have a couple times and I promise that you would want a heavy action rod when you're reeling in a 40 lb. blue plus a 12 oz. sinker against the swift Miss. River current. I would want no less than the MH, but would prefer the Heavy action in that situation. I would say that the Heavy action might be too much for alot of places in the U.S. and the MH would be suitable for most any place in the States. You've got to remember that alot of people nowadays are targeting only large catfish and want to use MH to H action rods in pursuit of the fish of their lifetime. I'm not trying to be smart, just letting you know about other situations. Also, you can still get the Medium action Big Cat. I know of a few places that have them. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you info on where you can get one.

10. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I have a MH Ugly Stick Catfish, and haven't had any problems. It is a little bit overkill for a 3# fish, but it pulls them in just fine. I have an Abu 6500c3 on mine full of Suffix Siege 20#, and I couldn't be happier with it.

11. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I target flatheads over 40 lbs and catch my share. I've also fished the James and caught blues up to 68 lbs., so I'm speaking of my experiences. I just haven't found the need for the Heavy action rods, other than setting the hook on a big flathead with a long line out. Still, the M/H does fine for me. I am very much interested in the Medium Big Cats. All my looking has turned up only Meduiems and M/H rods. I'll send you a PM. Thanks.

12. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm like most every other catfisherman, I want something with a sensitive tip, but plenty of backbone. What has me concerned about the M/H is the weight rating which is up to 5oz. Which is higher than most M/H rods. Especially since most rods easily handle more weight than they are rated for. My concern is not necessarily the backbone of the M/H but the sensitivity of the tip. I don't want a broostick at the tip. I like the tip action of a M/H Rhino glow stick. Here in the summer time, the fish just aren't ripping the bait and you need something with some play in it. So I was thinking the M action might offer me the softer tip that I'm looking for and maybe still have enough back bone. Like I said before and all of you already know, it's very hard to decide on a rod without being able to check it out first. And with the cost of return shipping for a rod, a wrong choice can be expensive. As I stated earlier, I fish slow to moderate current with 2-3 oz. of weight, so the Heavy action is definitely not needed.

13. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I cannot speak for the casting Model of Big Cat but my Spinning models are M/H and have caught both big fish and small fish on it. The tip is very sensitive so you will know when you get a bite even from a small sunfish.
    I now own five of these rods, so you can go from there.

14. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Greg. I was considering purchasing a spinning rod as well to run a baitrunner.