Quantum Big Cat fishing rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by barbel, Mar 27, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I just recently got a Penn 320 LD for my birthday, but the problem is that I still dont have a rod for it. What I was wondering is if a medium heavy or a heavy action Quantum Big Cat rod would fit it better. It is going to be my heavy flathead/blue rod, and I will probably be casting at least 2 ounces of weight, plus a baitfish with it. So would you think the heavy or med. heavy would be a better fit for the situation and/or reel? Thanks in advance.

2. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Are You Going To Target Big Fish Only With Your Rig? Is Your Line Choice Going To Be On The Heavy Side? If It Is Then You May Consider A Heavy Action Rod. If Its Going To Pull Double Duty, Then A Medium Heavy Action Will Probably Work Out Just Fine. Let Us Know What You Get.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a Big Cat MH, and I love it. If I were really targeting fish over 30# with a reasonable number going over 50#, I'd probably opt for the heavy action. I've used both, incidentally. I brought in a 28# blue in swift water with the heavy action Big Cat, and it wasn't even working hard yet.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have a couple of MH 7.5 foot Big cats. One spinning and one casting. They are great fishing rods. Plenty of backbone and just enough action in the tip so that it's not like a billiard cue with guides. Very good rods in my opinion.

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Think A M/h Action Would Do Fine. I Have A 7.5 Spinning And I Love It. It's My Favorite Rod, It's A Little Heavy But Their Great I Want To Get A Big Cat Casting As Soon As I Figure Out What Reel To Get For It.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Penn 310 GTi works like a champ on it. Well balanced and a real workhorse.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Where is the best place to buy one of these rods?

8. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Look to your right and click on Catfish Connection one of our sponsers and darn nice people to deal with.

9. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have 2 Heavy action BigCats, Both are matched up with Penn 320 GT2's. They look and feel pretty good to me.

10. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i have 2 heavy action bigcats and love em. even with smaller fish they seem to do well. if i had it to do over again i would stay with the heavy.

11. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Barbel, I would go with the MH action. I have 2- MH casting Big Cats. One is paired with a Penn 320 GT2 and the other is paired with a Quantum Iron IR320. Great rods for the money, IMHO. I am about to order a couple med. action spinning Big Cats to use for channel cat fishing. Catfish Connection carries these rods at the lowest price on them that I have seen. I ordered mine from them.

12. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Yes sir. Thats the place I was going to order them from :)

I apologize for not specifying this earlier, but I will be using 30 pound Cajun Red Lightning (although I may switch to Big Game down the road.) I will be targeting cats over 20 pounds with these, and (hopefully) will get a fair number over 50 pounds ;) But around here, mostly what I will be fishing for are flatheads, although I am not sure how much structure there is in most of these rivers :\ I would bank on there being quite a bit though, since I fish some of the smaller tribuatires of the Kaw and the Missouri, and the logs cant wash away QUITE as easily in them.

13. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Im going to bump this one a little bit, because I am still a little confused on which one I should get. The views are split about 50-50 from what I can see at the moment.

The actual things that I will be using it with are 30 pound test line, 2+ ounces of weight + baitfish (3-4 oz usually) and then the 320 LD. So any help if this would be better suited to a certain action over another would help a lot.

Thanks.

14. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello,
    Are the Quantum Big Cats and the Zebco Quantum Big Cats the same rod. I see Catfish Connection sells thw Zebco Quantum big Cats. Is there any difference when you hold them side by side. Thanks for your time.
    Tight Lines
    Danny J

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are the same rod. Zebco is the "parent company" I guess you can say. Quantum is a line of Zebco.

16. cottonwoodsforever

cottonwoodsforever New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would probably go with the medium heavy as well. What kind of bait will you be using and what size fish are you targeting? If you plan on using any soft baits a rod that is to stiff can tear through the bait when you cast. I've had good luck with my Ugly Stick Tiger in medium heavy, and I assume that the Big Cat has a similar action.

17. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Mike, glad to see you joined! I would go w/ the medium heavy too.

18. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Just received my MH Big Cat from Catfish Connection yesterday. I like the feel of it so far. Seems to be built well. Those guides looks heavy-duty enough! Too bad Cabela's has my new 6500 backordered:mad: I won't get to lob anything with it until that gets here (unless I throw a Curado on it:p )

One question: I heard a little creaking when I bent it over to test it out the first few times. Is that normal? I'm thinking it's just the wraps settling and such, but it made me cringe a little. It hasn't seemed to affect the rod, though.

19. cannady4

cannady4 New Member

State:
    il
    I would have to say, if your in the market for new rod. Try the Bass Pro special called the Catmaxx. It is the same price as the big cat, but I feel it is a better rod. I have a Catmaxx and a big cat. I hat to try one of each. Time and time again the catmaxx has out preformed the big cat. both are med/heavy and both are 7'6". Big cat has 8 guides where the catmaxx has 10. I will continue to use the catmaxx as long as bass pro will make them. I am a FIRM believer in the maxx. But to each is own. The best advice we can offer you is to get one of each and just fish. You be the judge. (I think you will be alot happier with the maxx.)

20. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I saw some other people post about that one, and it looked like it was a nice rod. I may have to check it out. Only problem is that there are no BPS's around here, so that might be difficult.