Quantum Big Cat fishing rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Ryan, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    What are your feelings on the Quantum Big Cat rods? Are they a decent flathead rod? Would the MH or H be better suited to tossing bullheads and cranking in flatties? I like the Uglystik Tiger, but want something in the 7'6" to 8' length and the Tiger only comes in 7'.

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've been wondering about those rods myself. They look pretty good.

Eric

3. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I've got the revised model. My heavy action is a beauty, now doubt in my mind that it can't handle any size fish. But check them out. Truely Outstanding.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have 2 of the older models, they are a great rod! all depends on what size river you fish, how much weight you are going to be using, and the intended size of fish. flats where i fish top out at around 40lb and my med. heavy do just fine. biggest i caught on mine was 33lb and it didnt even phase the rod, actually felt like i was horsin' him in:D

5. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Thanks. I just noticed a post a bit down the page with a few replies, but I'm hoping for a few more responses.

Biguns, how heavy is the "heavy" action? Is it a broomstick, or does it bend over pretty well? I fish a lot on the Mississippi in Minnesota. Generally tossing out 3-5 ounces of lead and a 7 inch bullhead. Flatties up to 40 pounds or so are the norm.

I sure wish I could find one in Minnesota to get my hands on and check it out!

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I have four of the Quantum rods. Three are the M/H action and one H. The M/H should be sufficient enough for most situations. The heavy action rod seems like overkill most of the time. The heavy action usually only gets used if I have a problem with my other rods. I also use a Bass Pro Shops musky rod(6'6"MH) and an Ugly Stick Catfish rod(6'6"MH). All of my rods have matching Quantum saltwater reels.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Great Fishing Rod M/h Or H Both Can Handle The Big Ones.

8. Rivercat1

Rivercat1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have 6 of the 7.6" MH and love them, Ive used them fours years now. I also use Bass Pro Shops Cat Max and there great to.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Not much difference between the bigcat and the catmax.

10. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Before this year is over all of my catfishing rods should be heavy action bigcats. Some of the rods i'm using right now is made more along the lines of bass fishing. (Berkley lightning rod MH, ugly stick mh, and the big game mh). After breaking a lightning rod on a 30 in heavy current this year time to step on up.............

11. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I was thinking on buying a Quantum Big Cat myself, like the price, however at this time I'm sticking with the TIGER Ugly Stick. It's 20.00 more but having the warrantee and the great durability of catching fish it's my choice for now. Maybe in the future I might reconsider but there's nothing like the feel of a TIGER in your hands.

12. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have a pair of them and love them. They are worth it to get them and you will never be sorry.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 5 quantum bigcat rods, I prefer the medium heavy action, I can throw 8-ozs of lead with ease with the medium heavy..I also like the heavy when I need to cast up to 16-0z of weight.

14. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Sounds like they are great rods. Flathunter, thanks for assuring me of the weight you can toss with the MH. I rarely use more than 5 oz of lead.

15. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    It would take a big fish to load up the heavy action rod.

16. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I own three of the M/H 7'6" and they are my go to flathead rod. (At least until I get my rod from Gator) The heavy was way more than I need for where I fish.

17. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I had them all medium thru heavy & I liked the actions, handles, reel seats ect. But I had alot of trouble with the eye inserts coming out. So I switched to The Boss rods by J. Moyer alot better rod in more actions to handle any catfish situation.

18. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Tigers and BigCats both have a 6 year guarantee. I have both, have'nt decided which I like best.

19. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I have used them in the past they are a good rod but i changed over to the ugly stik catfish model for my perposes but all in all good rods

20. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    We have 2 of them, 7'6 mh and they can handle whatever you are wanting to reel in. The wife and I love to use them at the Brazos river.
    If you can find them in Minnesota, you won't regret buying them.
    I plan on using it at the Texoma gathering in April.