Quanah Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Ayersco, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Ayersco

Ayersco New Member

State:
    San Antonio, Texas
    I live in San Antonio, Texas and recently purchased a boat and began trotlining in Lake Calaveras. I once had and somehow lost a bait recipe for making Quanah Bait from shad / minnows / etc... Does anyone have a recipe for this bait? Also, I have noticed that the baitfish population in the lake has catastrophically declined in the last three months ... any ideas why this would happen? The cats we have been catching are evidently eating snails now that the baitfish are so scarce! Thanks!

2. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ayersco,

Welcome to the BOC!

I have never heard of Quanah bait, can you tell us a little more about it?

As for the baitfish decline, maybe one of the texas members will have some more information and can help you out.

Dave

3. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Quanah was a very popular commercial stink bait back when. It was made in Quanah, Texas. Every one used it. I believe it was made with chicken blood and guts as it very much resembled another commercial bait called "Best" that was made by my uncle. I never knew the recipe for Quanah had been made public.

A homemade minnow based bait will have a ranker odor after it gets rotten and will grow maggots. The chicken blood and guts bait, with cottonseed meal, is hard to beat. To me, the odor isn't unpleasant. My dad would buy Best and Quanah both by the case and chase channel cats. These baits were made by cooking the mess so it doesn't rot. My grandmother, her sister and sister in law boiled bait in black kettles in the back yard out on the farm. After it had cooled for awhile, it was poured into jars and allowed to cool completely before the lids were attached and the blue labels put on. By this time the consistency was such that a ball of it could be molded on a treble hook. These baits weren't used in cold water because they became very hard on the hook.

4. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    I might add that the bait population is probably less evident because of the season and not because they have been depleted. Likely they can be found in deeper water this time of year, course, I could be wrong.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN