Quality vs. cheaper gear

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bluesbrother, Aug 23, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    some feal if you dont have the best your not a good fisherman our you dont know night from day. thats crap i seen my mom and others catch big flatheads and blues on cain poles. yea guess gear made for sailfish will work.lol come on man admit tiger rods aint neccesary nice yes but you can catch them on less and feel better about it. good luck.:big_smile:

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think you need to read the new post " To all members" made by jersycat9 and I don't think anyone on here said that you have to have any certain kind of equipment to fish with but then I haven't read every thread, just the ones that peak my interest. Most threads that I've read on here just want to know what kind of rods, reels, line or hooks that everybody else is using in different kinds of fishing situations. There are some individuals on here that make some obserd statements from time to time in order to justfy the choices they've made and do make derogatory statements about other fellow members who has made a choice to use equipment different then theirs but its a personal choice as to what equipment an individual wants to use or can afford to fish with, not a necessity.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Robert its nice to meet You Sir. You are Correct it shure isen't necessary to have some of that big gear to catch a whopper Fish! I know for years I used alot of Zebco 33s and some other stuff that I picked up at garage sales cause that was all I could afford at the time, and man I cought alot of fish. I raised 7 children and worked two jobs just to put food on the table.Now that they are all raised I have upgraded all my equipment with some perty nice gear. As Have many of us here at the BOC. The reason some of us ask what kind of outfit you use is not to act like snobs but to try and help you with the application of a good hook or maybee a little better line or set up for your outfit and the fish you happen to be targeting. You are our Brother and our friend and I think I can speak for the Brotherhood when I say If one of us came across wrong it was not the intention, and it it is not the purpous of this site to make a member feel less than any one else or to make themselves look better than You.This is one of the Wonderful things about the BOC. If you have a question or a Gripe you will get a straight answer. I for one am glad your here Robert! Your Friend and BOC Brother from Iowa. J.D.Straka

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Light tackle is OK.
    But try to fish out of a boat in heavy current with it.
    That is where it shines.
    I also use light tackle most time or should I say medium I use medium rods for drift fishing.
    But if I'm anchor fishing in current then its the big stuff.
    Also you can catch them on less. but after an hour fight do you think that big fish has a good chance of living of turned back?

Have a great day and fish with what ever you care to and enjoy it. I know I do.

Pete

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Robert.I am 61 and fished fresh and saltwater all of my life.North and South and other countries while in the navy.The BEST fisherman that I believe that I have ever seen in person,film or TV used a hand carved hand reel,what looked like a Coke bottle and what looked like a Coffee can.That little shriveled up old Asian man consistently out fished everyone else and he was surrounded by millions of dollars worth of equipment at times.I only saw him a half dozen or so times.Some out there were jealous and voiced hate.I envied him.I wish that I had his knowledge and skill.My son commercial fished the Grand Banks off of Nova Scotia for years.To conserve dwindling stocks of fish,they had to go back to hand lining for the huge 1000 pound and better Tuna and such.All the records we see recorded are for rod and reel.The largest fish in the world have consistently been caught by the oldest method.A simple hand line.A large cat on a hand line.Now that is truly something to brag about.Yea man.We don;t like to admit it,but the real men still fishing use a hand line.Most never know what a wimp they are until they try it.There are plenty that will knock such a statement,but you will notice that the people who have never done something always know the most about it.peewee-williams

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i agree for the most part, but it always leads to me being stupid and losing fish....i think hey i can catch em on a bass rod if i really try.....then i think hey i can catch em on a bluegill rig....then i grab and ultralight....then i hear a SNAP!!! lol

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    May I ask the purpose of your post BB?WAs it to add to our fishing knowledge,impart some new technique,share something your discovered that will help all of us catch more fish?Help a new member make a good tackle selection perhaps?Tackle as Peewee so elequently points out doesn't mean anything.Why take issue with anothers choice of what they use?Were they forcing it on you.Who are the "Some" that you refer to.Has anyone come on this site and said you had to fish with the "Best" to be a good fisherman?Can you refer me to that post?'Some" can afford the best and enjoy using it.My great grandma fished with a cane pole and two hooks.One small hook with a bit of worm on it to attract small fish,which then hit the minnow she had on her big hook.Caught tons of fish to.She wouldn't have a rod and reel.Quite frankly I don't consider Tiger rods to be the "Best" or anywhere near it.I take great pleasure from catching the fish,then releasing it not from the gear I use.That would be like saying Jeff Gordon is a good driver and enjoys winning races because his pit crew uses the "Best" car jack to change tires.I can afford to fish and hunt with anything I want but I attribute what success I have to whats between my ears as I have never seen any of my rods get up and go catch something by themselves no matter what they cost.:smile2:

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Jim I have to commend you on your response to this one. In answer to bluesbrothers thread I guess I am a gear snob becasue i have a new ranger and use only top of the line shimano gear. It all boils down to one thing people who go around trying to rile people and start crap are just jealous because they dont have or cant have. I will also say there are a lot of gear snobs here then too since there are a lot of members that have some nice gear. oh I just consider the source.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Guess I'm confused.. You had a thread about breaking two poles, most the replies to it said the cheapest rod tested in a recent study showed it was also one of the toughest.. Dont think I seen one reply saying to go out and buy a $250 custom rod ?? Maybe I missed a thread where people were saying to buy a high end rod or else????

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    o.k. i guess i'm a gear snob. :big_smile: i'm not really. i used to use cheap stuff and still do from time to time. i don't use spincast reels anymore because the drags are not very good in them and they just don't hold enough line. i think i have graduated from that. but anybody who is serious about catching MONSTER FISH is gonna have to upgrade and always try to improve the tools they use to better their odds of landing the big one.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Here on the BOC we all come differant walks of life from Differant parts of the country with differant methods that why Ilke the BOC THE PEOPLE I don`t think any one has emplyed they were any better than any body else YES we get a little roddy at times there may be some that fill that way I haven`t saw it:0a18:

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If any of these guys are like me, are viseaversa. I started with 33's and 808's and so on and as I learned more about catfishing and started catching better quaility fish I slowley progressed towards heavier, better, tackle. I think it is a natural progression. After having a few rods broken and reels stripped out it was a necessity. If I couldn't affored what I wanted I waited until I could. While I still don't have the best equipment, I have what will work and what I was able to afford and what I like.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Lets see now, if I wanted to get the best of it all, I could save up and have it. But then let's see, I have what I like, that's in my opinion, others also have thier opinion on the equipment I use, and that is all it is, THIER OPINION, I could care less what others think, as long as I like my equipment that's all that matters to me, and I'm way to cheap to spend that kind of money when what I have works fine. I love all the best reels and rods but they are not for me, if I tore one of them up I would bawl, now if one breaks, oh well, go buy another one.

14. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I am as others have called themselves somewhat of a gear snob. Most of my rods are 30 bucks and under Ugly Stiks aside from my Tiger Rods and a select few others. But I've drug in some huuuuge loads on my cheap glass rods. Now if I *had* money I'd be fishing St.Croix rods and stuff like that. I dont care to spend money on good stuff if i have it, most things are a get what you payfor deal. Now Reels to me need to be chosen with care. I fish nothing but Penn and Abu Garcia whether it be my ultralight 5ft bluegill rod to my 7ft heavy action tiger. I put money in my lines and I only buy Mustand and Gamakatsu hooks, but if you look in the boat tips and use forum you will see my cost cutting is done in my fishing rig which is still top notch in my book. But I never look down upon the old gentlemen bankfishing by me with his Zebco spincaster or old Johnson Century.I think this forum needs a biiig group hug:crazy:

15. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I couldn't agree more Silver Cross. I caught the Cabela's King Kat combos on sale for $19.95. They catch fish that's all I care about.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm just like you man, I started out with smaller cheap stuff and it didn't last long when I got into real catfish.

BluesBrother, I'm sorry but I am not aware of why you started this thread. I have said many times on here that Ugly Stik Tigers are good rods, but how does that make me a gear snob? One of my favorite sayings is "Don't take a knife to a gunfight". I don't have a lot of very expensive stuff actually, yes I have a few set-ups that were over $100 total, but isn't my choice to use what gear I want to anyway?

I didn't see anyone trying to tell you to use a specific type of gear only in any of your threads.

17. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm sort of a gear head, but I don't have a lot of expensive gear. I bought a $35 spinning rod/reel combo at Wally world a couple years ago and have caught more fish on it than a $150 baitcast set up I got for my birthday this summer. I love the bait cast set up and had waited for two seasons to get it. One of my fishing buddies bought a $25 Zebco 808/7ft rod combo at Wally world and has catfished with it all year. I agree with pee-wee that it doesn't matter what you're fishing with, but how you fish and if you really enjoy it or not.

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know what you mean about gear snobs, but I dont think there are too many here, if any. Most are just telling what their favorites are and what works for them when asked. I havent seen anybody saying your less of a fisherman if your not fishing with a 100 dollar rod and a 200 dollar reel. Im sure you can find gear snobs on other sites but I havent seen it here.

19. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks bros i myself have some what i conseder good gear several abu reel and uglystix. they get the job done and im no snob i was just trying to start a descusion. and i aint seen any snobs here. but outside of here i have had people curl there rich nose up at me for having working man gear. im not rich and my gear took years to collect and i have and still have 20 doller stuff to. im just saying you can do good with less. if aa man aint born into mony or dont have a high paying oil company job. doesnt mean he should be treated like a nobody.and yes i have saved and purchased 100 doller bass rods in the past lol. i just want people to know its ok to fish with a cain pole or whatever. the main thing is have fun and encourage others to have fun and respect the sport. dont be like the guy that makes waves in a no wake zone just to scare a poor bank fishermans fish off.

20. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I buy my fishing tackle just like I buy my vehicles and computers and such. Get the best that you can afford. Yes, many have been caught on light tackle, just remember, that is the exception, not the rule. The more expensive and heavier stuff will not for sure get the big one out of the water, but it gives you a much better chance.