Quality of Texas Catfish Fisheries?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by strider, Feb 21, 2006.

1. strider

strider New Member

State:
    Bruceville-Eddy, Texas
    I'm curious, folks.....

What's a good days' fishing for you?

Average Size(lbs) Number of fish
    Channels
    Blues
    Flatheads

If you were fishing for catfish in Texas 10 years ago, how does today's fishing compare?

Do you often catch other catfish species you are not targeting?

Do you think the current bag and size limits for all 3 species are realistic and continue to promote a sustainable fishery in the waters you fish?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My catch is mostly channels. Most are in the two to five pound range. I don't know how to compare to past fishing, as catfishing is relatively new for me. I can say that I used to have more success with bass when I fished for them, though not as far as fish of any size.

3. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    I've fished for cats for 38 years and I can say the only differance I see is the water level makes a differance in size and quality:0a22: /SIZE]

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Years ago and today are about the same for me. Most of the time we catch about 10 per person. Channels to about 5lb. Have only limited out once, two years ago. We catch a few blues among the channels we catch. I think the current laws are ok for were I fish. Seems to be a good fishery here.

5. strider

strider New Member

State:
    Bruceville-Eddy, Texas
    Central Texas has a lot of smaller fisheries. The Brazos River between the low water dam and the Marlin Falls is isolated in low water conditions (about 47 miles of river). We have Lake Waco, Tradinghouse Creek Reservoir, Granger Lake, Lake Belton (pretty big), Lake Whitney (also pretty big), the San Gabriel and Little Rivers. These smaller fisheries get a lot of pressure. A good day for me is 6-7 channels anywhere from 2 - 6 lbs, 98% channels.

I have caught very few yellows but then I don't fish for them either. When I use live bait though I would think I should catch more. Local veterans tell me that rod & reel fishing for yellows has dropped a lot in the past 3 decades.

I think the bigger water bodies in Central Texas are probably doing ok for all three species, but the smaller ones are beginning to hurt for yellows and big blues (where blues are common). I don't know anyone down here that releases big catfish or anyone that thinks they should. You sure don't see the heads on the fence posts like you used to though.

6. andi1950

andi1950 New Member

State:
    Belton, Texas
    Hey Strider,
    I have noticed a couple of things that you said, also.
    1. Most people down here on Belton, do not release fish.
    2. I don't see the heads on fence posts like I used to.

Wonder why?

jerry

7. TIGER44

TIGER44 New Member

State:
    MANSFIELD. TEXAS
    Fishing Has Greatly Improved Thanks To Great People Like Our Brothers In The Boc. And Our Texas Parks And Wild Life. A Good Day Of Fishing At My Like House {athens} Is 15 Chanel Cats Between 6-20 Lbs. Lake Athens Is A Great Lake To Fish It Is Kinda An Untold Secret So Don't Tell Anyone Lol.

8. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    Fishin' has always been good, especially if you are off the "beaten path". ;)