Quality not Quantity

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Canadiancatman, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    That seemed to be the way our trip out to Lockport went yesterday. We did a little exploring to some spots I've never fished and it took us awhile to find a decent spot. We ended up with 5 cats 3 for me and 2 for Ryan. We only took pics of the two biggest ones the three small ones were 32" 33" 33.5" I got the first 32" then Ryan got a snag and broke off so I got him to hold my fishing rod While I tied on a new rig for him then he says "holy crap I got one and and It's pullin hard!!" too bad he doesnt know how to hold them up nice for the camera but this was the fattest 36" cat I've seen it was solid pushing 30lbs. :eek:oooh:

[​IMG]

I couldn't let him take big fish of the night on my rod so I had to connect with my biggest cat this summer an absolute hog 38"

[​IMG]

Those two fish were worth the 3.5 hour drive round trip and getting home at 3 am!! Sorry we couldn't pull in some more but I got a trip coming up with a former cats on the red guide buddy of mine in his boat. :big_smile: Stay tuned for that!!

2. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane Thanks for sharing the pics of some nice fish. WTG.

4. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    LoL Damn shane You guy fishin around a nuke power plant lol those they are huge up there, im coming up there to canada i gotta see em with my own eyes :wink: Congrats on the catches man

5. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks Curt and Mickey!! :cool2:

Seriously and I'm dead serious here when I say this you should come up someway somehow and check this out you give me enough notice and I can book some days off and we'll go on a mad sumo cat catching adventure!! :big_smile: Also Mike think about this. these cats here are probably almost if not older then me and have most likely been caught a time or two in there lifetime catch and release works in the long term it provides a world class channel catfishery that can sustain itself and grow as time goes on. You all gotta understand that I'm still getting used to seeing pics of any cats being kept let alone trophy cats. I understand that its legal in some areas I'm just not used to seeing it being raised my whole life that catfish always got released and nobody wanted to eat them anyways because around here everyone eats yellow perch walleye pike and trout. I tried eating a cat once and musta done it up wrong cause it was awful!! :eek:oooh: just think how big channel cats down south could get if people released them over 24" Our cats have a very short growing period each year it takes alot of years to make big cats up here. Just the other night I was fishing off shore in the same spot Doug Stange and Toad Smith wrote an article about from the 80's before Lockport got real popular but there was no limit or regs back then and he wrote about seeing a chain stringer with 15 cats over 20lbs........ I don't want to even imagine if it was still like that! :confused2:

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice Channels shane. Thanks for shareing:wink:

7. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Glad you liked them bud!! :cool2:

8. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Man those are nice channels:cool2:

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    very nice channels indeed, and ta think everytime i'm in canada i'm fishin for bass and pike, thats gonna change:wink:

10. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    It's hard not too fish for those and others when we have fish like these!! :big_smile:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Man those are some trophy channels!!!:crazy:I have heard canada has some of the biggest channels in north america!

12. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Hmmm No Shed with a wood burin stove dunno if i could hang with that fishin in the ice without a fire :wink:

13. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Wuss!! :wink: I'm sure we could find one for ya :smile2:

14. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    LoL im from the midwest. We only get the cold that make ur feet feel like ice lol you all get the cold that makes ur bones turn to ice :smile2:

15. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Haha up here in Canada Mike they DO sell clothing that actually keeps you warm you just need to layer up and you'll be fine! :big_smile:

16. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    LoL We Will see. :smile2:

17. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I sh*t you not my friend!! :smile2:

18. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    We could not calculate directions between Kansas City, MO and Manitoba Canada

19. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    from here Far Eastern Food Center 7811 Wornall Rd Kansas City MO
    it's 879 miles to my city if you take the I-29 N . I checked out Google maps it's crazy there is real pictures of your town it's like driving down the street check it out!! :cool2:

20. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Thats a hop skip and a jump your hella close lol if its only 900 miles that doesnt seem as far as it looked on google maps. I have drove to the flordia keys a few times in my life and its taken me 24hr's st8 to get there around 1800 miles lol i can handle a trip to canada :smile2: didnt relize i-29 ran all the way up there