Quality Deer Management

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by dust777man, Dec 13, 2007.

1. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    How long do you think a lease needs to be leased for to be considered for QDM? Had a lease last year that was under QDMA and it was a year to year thing. Let some good bucks walk especially one that comes to mind. Any way we lost the lease this year. To me it makes no sense to practice QDM if you don't have a long term lease set up. Now I'm not saying shoot everything that walks if you don't have a long term lease but just wondering what your thought are on it.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if the hunter game ratio is like it is here, its a wast of time. you would be passing on good bucks that the nieghbor is putting in his freezer. if you have a lease that is large enough to do it, i would guess about 5 years till you see definate results. thats just an uneducated opinion though. good luck with your QDM project, dust man.

a thought- if you are feeding "your" deer growth junk from the store. it may be haveing adverse effects on your health! IMO

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have seen the results of letting the "young" deer grow! I have a couple neighbors that kill deer around me, but I still get a GOOD deer every year. I have 6acres! I will NOT shoot bucks that arent "mature" I had killed enough small bucks and decided one season that I wanted to start killing larger deer! This year the 23" inside spread 8-point I got was behind 2 smaller bucks that had come by me 5 minutes before!(one of them was 16"wide 8-point) I have been selective on my "buck" harvest on this property for 7 years now, and see the results. Your nieghbors may kill some deer that you let walk, but some will survive! So, you need to look at the BIG picture, its not necessary to have a thousand acres to see results if the deer have everything they need on your property! Just my 2-cents worth and there are "millions" of opinions on this topic!!!:wink:

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    QDM on yearly leased land is a waste of time period. im all for QDM but you got to have the right conditions to put forth the effort or its wasting your time. i too hunt a small tract that i own but its nothing big enough to hold a deer. i do let alot of bucks walk but i live here so i pretty much can hunt everyday if i wish. my neighbors dont allow hunting and it makes mine that much better. i been passing up small bucks for 2 year now and the woods are loaded with buck sign this year. i am afriad someone will slip in here and have a hay day with these small bucks and i know its going to happen sooner or later. im just taking my chances for now. i noticed one post said he done it on 6 acres to get his buck. well our gun season starts first of nov and runs to jan. 1 with a 2 buck limit for those that follow the law. short season states QDM may work in on small tracks but not here. lomg term lease for QDM or not at all for me. im not doing the work for someone elses harvest.....i hope!:smile2:

5. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree. It is a waste of time on year to year leases. A few years ago I was a member of a club in GA and they was under QDM. It was a year to year lease. As far as I know it still up and running. Some good bucks are on the land but they are taking a chance in QDM since it is a year to year lease. I hate growing bucks for someone else to get because you lose the lease.

I guess the main question I had was is it a waste of time to do QDM on a year to year lease with no guarantees that you will have the lease next year?

6. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm all for letting smaller bucks walk. Don't know if it is worth it if the lease you have is year to year. Might be doing alot of work or letting alot of deer walk to never have a chance to see the results. But to see bigger deer it might be a chance you might be willing to take.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the bad part about all of it is if someone seen a big deer in a given area that you had passed up then they go find out who owns the lease and the price goes up. someone is always willing to pay more for your lease and hard work than you are. my old hunt club paid 6500.00 for 500 acres this year and they killed 6 deer off of it so far....lol. no big bucks at all. land owner said if you dont want it i got 3 waiting on it. i would of told him to take it and cram it! its not worth that kind of money. they got a little over a 1000.00 a piece in them plus food plott cost. crazy!:smile2: