quail

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Nov 4, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'm probably not going to have much time to quail hunt, so i went out the other day. shot terribly, and only got a few. i figured since i did so good on doves the quail would be a breeze, but i was wrong. REALLY missing my dog now. there's loads of birds right now, but they are making us work for them. all these were flushed out of sage and plum thickets intermingled with cottonwood and mesquite. felt more like grouse hunting!

Attached Files:

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You just killed half the quail that lived in Virginia.:smile2:
    I bet you do miss not having a dog. I do!:sad2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jordan that is not to shabby without a dog. Congrats. I counted five in the pic.

4. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jorge,

Thanks for sharing the story and the pic. I'm ready to go here in KS, but I gotta wait another week. Best of luck for the remainder of the season!

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks for the quail report,,and Pic.

I've got a couple of Birddogs,, German shorthairs,, One is about 87 years old,, he's whooped by the time he walks from the back of the truck to the front ..
    The younger one doesn't have the "Natural ability" the older one had..he's learning

I've always enjoyed reading about the Early African Ivory Hunters,, Great adventure,, but, one thing they almost all mentioned,, was the amount of walking averaged for each animal,, one said about 100 miles!!!
    I can relate,, as here, for one quail,, it seems to be about that far per bird.

Your batch of birds, is to be congratulated, especially, being taken in such trying conditions,,
    If I'm lucky, I'll get that many this Season!!!LOL

Attached Files:

6. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    nice bird dog .:wink:

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    killed 22 more at camp this week. cooked them in the coals in the dutch oven with potatoes and green chiles. sorry no pics, i was wiped out all week.

8. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    Qauil and pheasant opened last weekend,Idid not make it out but hopeig to make it out this upcoming weekend.bird pop ain't all that great over here anymore,a lot of foxes,feral cats,etc have declined there #'ers greatly.Peasant was my fav thing to hunt in the winter,now i have turned 2 coyotes these suckers need controlled..........

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey demetrius if you kill any birds you had better eat em right away! i don't think you have much freezer space left after those bruisers your boys shot! :wink:

10. grouse & britt

grouse & britt New Member

State:
    Pa.
    jordan nothing wrong with grouse hunting :wink: congratts nice harvest

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey i love grouse hunting! i hunted them a lot when i lived in northern utah. bird hunting here lately reminds me more of grouse hunting than, well, hunting here!

12. reel_mccoy

reel_mccoy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I just started bird hunting a few years ago. Living in Arkansas the opportunity to hunt wild birds here is out. I try to make a few trips every year up to kansas and hit a preserve here a few times. I love to quail hunt, I just wish I had more opportunities. I envy you guys that have wild birds around.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey yall got the good squirrel hunting. here we hardly have trees.

14. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We dont chase pheasent or quail anymore but I miss those quail for certain. We dont have many birds anymore.

15. niteangler

niteangler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I wish we still had plenty of quail. I used to go 10+ years ago. You'd have to hunt for days to kill that many now.