Quail (sp)

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Big Nick, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I went out for the first weekend of quail this past saturday. We didn't have a dog so we just walked it. Ended up limiting out before the morning was over. The hunt was great! It was also the last day of Dove down here, so I ended up shooting about a half dozen of those too!

Anyone out there get a few this weekend?

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    the season here in kansas has not opened yet. quail numbers should be up here but still below the standards set by the good ole days. in kansas its almost not worth going just quail hunting you can walk all day and only see maybe one covey. the main focus here is pheasent and you'll bump into a covey of quail here and there. I shot 22 roosters last year and only three quail.

3. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    We went to Paducah TX, and couldn't help but run across a bunch of Quail. They were everywhere. Coveys of 20 or more

4. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Now, that's a good day afield, I don't care who you are or where you go! ;)

5. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I tell ya Hookeye, there were more Quail in that one field than we could hope to shoot. It was a corn field that was never harvested or cut down. It was probably about 100 acres or so. We walked it back and forth about 5 times and found new coveys every single time. The place was thick with em. Best Quail hunting I've ever run across. And we didn't even have a dog, we were just hoofin it! If we would have had a set of dogs we would have knocked our shoulders off shooting so much.