Qs about ky river

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by electricaldad, Jan 10, 2009.

1. electricaldad

electricaldad New Member

State:
    kentucky
    new to kentucky river between locks 9&10 any good hot spots thanks.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    electricaldad, sorry I can't help you, I only fish from the mouth to lock 1, but anyway welcome to the BOC. Someone from your area might chime in soon. Vern

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Wher is lock 9 and 10 ? I know places not numbers I live in Richmond .

4. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    Lock 10 is the one at Boonesboro....Lock 9 is somewhere in Madison County...I think above Clay Ferry????

That's your run of the river Lance. I was down there looking at that private boat launch (cost $2.00 fee) just above lock 10 (booneboro) yesterday. Want to fish around that power plant.

Talked to some "bank polers" over in Estil County, they had some good info on holes between where the Red River hits the KY in Clark County, and up above Lock 11 in Estill County.....have to see if it pans out for me...lol

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    There is a ramp @ boonesboro state park , 1 just above the dam before the power plant and another one further up river and 1 under the I-75 bridge (not in the best shape but may be useable pending on boat and what you are pulling it with ) The I-75 is free,so is boonesboro @ boonesboro they lock the gates @10 pm there. Theese 4 ramps are the most accesible but there may be one at valley veiw not sure .Otter creek dumps in across from the powerplant .

6. electricaldad

electricaldad New Member

State:
    kentucky
    there is not one at valley veiw

7. electricaldad

electricaldad New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what type of bait do you guys use? I have used frozen skipjack,shiners,homemade dough ball and goldfish and not had much luck.maybe fishing wrong spots.

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It can be a tough river to fish I haven't exactly wore them out either !lol ! I use shad , gills , shrimp , crawdads , liver , crawlers and various minnows/suckers I catch out of Otter creek with a cast net . I mostly rod and reel fish but ran jugs a couple times last summer (not enough current then ). I have a trotline that has never been set would like to tho to catch some eater channels .

9. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    I have always had best luck on 3 to 4 inch sunfish, bluegill, and then medium sized shiners.....all these work on branch lines, trotlines, even rod and reel.

I got plenty of stuff for trotlines....we will have to put some out. I also have about 60 of those YO YO's for branch lineing....they are GREAT!!! I always like setting lines in conjunction with night fishing, helps pass time and definatly puts more in the boat.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Need to find out the rules about running limb lines and trots at the same time I called and they said 2 trots OR 25 limblines OR up to 50 jugs... BUT on ket I saw Tim Farmer and the Moron bros. run a trot and limblines ......HUMMM wonder what is REALLY legal ! Frankfort said no mix and match .

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Before anyone reads this and has a cow I am not suggesting to use All I am LEGALLY allowed ... What I AM saying is even at lower numbers of jugs,trots,or limblines you can't mix and match yet Tim Farmer did a show and that is what they did .

12. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    According to our area game warden it's trotlines/jugs OR limblines. No mix and match.
    Never ran both at the same time just one or the other...and can only have 25 branch lines out, not sure on the trotline rules...I always just use one with 25 hooks.
    If I'm setting lines I prefer the (YO YO) branch lines. They are quick and easy and I have yet for a fish to tangle up on snags, get overly exhausted, or even get a deep hook set!!!

13. electricaldad

electricaldad New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks for the information.

14. electricaldad

electricaldad New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what part of ky river do you all fish?

15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Boonesboro area .

16. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    I mostly fished in Estil County up around Millers Creek.....and occasionally at the lock by high bridge in Jessamine County.

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    How well did you do at highbridge ?

18. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    Got some flatties, just off the edge of the fast water...and caught a bunch of white bass while passing the time. The flatheads were decent 10 to 15 lbs (i'd say closer to 15). Also suppose to be alot of channel cats there, but no luck there for us.

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have fished from Cave Run east to the Ohio River.

20. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    Did you do any good???? I have heard people hooking big flatheads below the dam at caverun..