Q-Beam Modification (fixing the weak link)

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by sgt_rob, Apr 13, 2006.

1. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    After two years of having my 200,000 CP Q-Beam quit on me when I least expected it, I decided to replace the weak link; the "made in china" switch. While the back of the spot light boast that it is "Made in the USA", the switch is a different story and the culprit to many an aggravating trip on some dark waters.

Here's the fix:

1. Take the spotlight apart by removing the two screw on the sides of the lamp housing.

2. Using needlenose pliers, carefully remove the wire terminals from the lamp.

3. Draw a diagram of where the wires are going then remove the two wires from the "made in china" switch.

4. The switch is held in place with molten plastic tabs which I ground away with a Dremal tool.

5. Enlarge the switch hole to accept the new switch. Use a good quality switch and make sure it can handle a few amps. Buy a switch that will accept screw-on terminals. Cut off the old slide-on terminals then solder the new terminals on the wires and install the terminals on the switch before you install it in the spotlight housing.

6. Install the new switch and screw it down tight then use the second nut as a lock nut over the first.

7. To prevent water from entering the old switch hole, pour 3M 5200 sealant on the switch cavity. It will self-level and seal out the moisture.

8. Put one drop of gear oil in the switch. I have done this for years for switches that are exposed to the elements and never had a problem since. Install a rubber boot over the switch.

9. Cut off the old slip-on terminals and solder screw-on terminals on the lamp wires during the reassembly and put it all back together.

10. Go Fishing! :)

Attached Files:

2. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Here are more Pictures

Attached Files:

3. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Her's the last of the pictures

Attached Files:

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Great information!!!

I think this would be a good library article!

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yes it is Tony.
    Rob, thanks for a detailed informative post. I've had all kinds of problems with spotlights in the past. Most occur from extended use. Those cheap chinese made switches have really poor contacts in them.
    It's not only in those small toggles but also in lighting contactors in AC systems.

6. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Great job. Gotta love those dremel tools.

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Library Bound today. Thanks Rob for sharing!!

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    It's in the library now Rob. Great piece of work. You must be a avionics repairman or an acft electrician. Great attention to detail in my book. Thanks for sharing.

9. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Nope, I just work on them old nukes.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Rob thats good stuff and thanks.Check your rep points .By the way mine is in the mail now so could you fix it and return it before next friday?:) :rolleyes: :p ;) Just kidding!

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Great info, but I would never have gone to that much bother for a 200k spotlight. I've got a 500k that I bought about 20 years ago for night jugfishing on the Arkansas River, and I seldom use it any more because it just doesn't do the job like one of those million cp spotlights. Actually, what I'd really like is one of those big spotlights off a tugboat, but I don't know what I'd have to have to power it. Maybe my 3500w generator?

12. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Jerry,

The most powerful spotlight I'm aware of is the Cyclops 15 million CP light by Cyclops Solutions.

The lens is almost the size of a medium pizza.

I bought one over the winter, and will be testing it come jugging and frogging this summer. From testing in the yard, it makes my 2 million CP spotlight look like a penlight by comparison.

Attached Files:

13. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    That looks bright alright but I need a lightweight spotlight for navigating several miles of river at night. The old arm gets tired quick and my boat partner might not appreciate a brighter light. My 200K is a lot brighter than the 1,000,000 spot I've seen from another company. Don't believe the hype, at least not until you see the proof. Bigger is not always better.

Anyway I was planning on buying a replacement light yesterday until I realized I already had all the parts I needed to fix this one just gathering dust around the shop. We have become a "use it and toss it" society. I rebuilt a 1950 Buick Roadmaster a few years ago which taught me that "repair", not "replace" was the way of the past. You could rebuild or repair every component on that car. I'd like to see more "repairing" going on; hence, the post.

14. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    We've replaced quite a few of them switches and even got a few in the tackle box from back when we were jugging the river at night. It only takes once to loose your light on the river at night with jugs everywhere to put an extra light in the boat. Almost every instance it was the switch, and i can only remember once it was the bulb. Great post rob!