Pyramid Lake - Here we go again

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Dec 7, 2006.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Today dawned clear and bright over the San Fernando Valley as I drove up the 5 freeway toward Pyramid Lake.
    I arrived at the lake about 7:30 and purchased a bag of frozen anchovies at the check in booth along with my day pass.
    Just past the launch ramp there is a stair way leading down to the lower walk along the lake shore. I parked at the head of the stairs, got out my two rods I planed to use and my backpack I use as a tackle box, grabbed the bag of bait and down the stairs I went.
    About 100 yards to the left of the stair way there is a little sandy beach area exposed now with the water level in the lake down about five feet.
    I negotiated the rip rap without a fall and set up rigs to fish. I started out with a 1/2 oz slip sinker above a swivel with a 24" leader and a size 1 hook baited with about 1/2 an anchovy. The other rig I flylined a whole anchovy with the tail cut off. Those are both loaded with 15 lb trilene XL
    I have fished these set ups many times before with good results but not today.
    It seemed to me I kept smelling a skunk alone the shore today, I was looking around for it but couldn't spot it anywhere.
    I did get four quick bites all on the slip rig but missed them all, they didn't take the bait off and did not come back for another try at it.
    I caught no fish again but I did see one person carrying a stripper that looked to be about 20 lbs but didn't get to talk to him.

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    man i love and hate days like that. its good to relax but it also stinks that no fish were caught. youll get emm next time!

3. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Tom, I call days like you had today dues paid for the good ones to follow. I've paid my dues more than once on the lake but when the days come when the fish are really biting it seems all worth it.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Getting skunked sometimes is the name of the game. It happened to me in fresh and saltwater. What really hurts is the saltwater especially if you spend a few hundred dollars on the trip like I did on an overnighter for the tuna a few times out. but that is what makes those wide open trips that more enjoyable. Thats why I mainly fish for relaxation. You should never be upset when you leave the fishing waters wether its fresh or salt. Thats how I come to look at it. I feel that a trip is a sucess if I catch fish or not. As long as I have piece of mind, thats a big plus right there.

5. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I have always been of the opinion that when you go out on a party boat or charter, that what you are paying for is the boat ride and if you catch fish that should be thought of as a bonus.
    Having my own 24' sport-fisher has given me a good insight as to how hard the boat captains work to put you on fish.
    Many of my friends that have gone out with me have had to learn the same lesson while I was paying my dues to learn where to fish and just how to get a proper anchor set in wind and current (still a major challenge) by pulling in 100'-200' of anchor rode just to drop it again a few feet away.
    It's great just to be out soaking a line and enjoying the outdoors. If you have to catch a fish to have a good time you are in the wrong sport.