pyramid lake catfishing

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dhines, Sep 17, 2008.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    i will be taking the girls up to pyramid lake (north LA county) for fishing this saturday, and i am wondering if anyone has advice on shore fishing. i read an older post about trying out a cove south of the boat dock, and i am going to be sure to try that out. but, i am hoping to hear additional advice. btw, i am not specifically going after catfish . . . as i am willing to catch anything to ensure my daughters have a good time.

many thanks in advance.

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I fish Pyramid often as it is just 45 minutes from my home.
    Shore access is limited in the Immigrant Landing area.
    Fishing along the shoreline below the parking lot and south of the boat docks can and does produce catfish if you can get through the stripers in that area.
    You might try a blood bait for cats, that seems to work well there.
    For a little faster action fish for stripers. Use small 3/4'' to 1'' chunks of anchovies on a size 6 hook with an 18'' leader below a 3/8 to 1/2 oz sliding sinker. The schoolie sized stripers circle around in the area out to the buoy line so be patient. Watch out for the mud ducks if you are fishing in shallow water, they have leaned how to steal your bait.
    The catfish bite may come while the stripers are circling away.

3. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    great, thanks for the info.

might i ask where you live? i am also about 45 min from there . . . (in the LA area) i live in lake balboa. i don't do much fishing in the LA area, do you have recommendations for places to fish outside of pyramid lake? (don't laugh) i heard that lake balboa is great for catching tilapia. and i am considering fishing to catch talipia for cut bait.

thanks again.

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Man you're just across The Valley from me. Go outside and look west at those hills over by the Santa Susanna Pass and I'm there in those just to the south of them on the next road south of Box Canyon. When I'm out on my deck I'm looking over you.

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    As far as places to fish, I fish Pyramid, Castaic, Elizabeth and Quail for close by fishing, there is also fishing access to the Aqueduct just a Mile or so from Elizbeth lake.
    I also drive to Casitas and Pyru although I haven't done any good at either one of them.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not familar with this area, but good luck to you!

7. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    box canyon, i know exactly where that is . . .

where is quail lake? how is the fishing in the aqueduct by elizabeth lake? you know i have often wondered if it is legal to fish encino lake. there is a path to it from dirt mulhulland, and i am guessing there are tons of fish in that lake.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I don't know about Encino lake. Is there a fence around it. With No Trespassing signs?
    I've only tried the Duct there a few times but although I haven'tcaught anything yet I have been bit there.
    Quail Lake is just past Pyramid off I-5 at the Hwy 138 and just a couple of miles east. There is a parking lot andyou have to walk around the lake.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Qail lake is off the I-5 just before Gorman... you take the 138 turnoff south of Gorman and about three mile to the east on 138 is Quail lake.. it is a resavoir that has aquaduct water in it, that runs to Pyramid lake... good access to the canal and west end of the lake... cross over the bridge, and 2 mile walk.. maybe more and then there is a spill way for better fishing.......Good place to watch the metorites do their thing in the Fall night sky......

bayrunner ray

10. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    well kinda. got there at 5:45am and waited until 6:30am for entry. get to the pay booth, and the lady says "not open for shore fishing". as i was leaving, i thought . . . would have been nice if the website mentioned that, considering it said (paraphrasing) "work is done on the lake and is open for fishing". needless to say, ended up heading over to piru and got skunked. oh well, what can you do.

made me think . . . can a person go down to the 'vista de lago' center and fish pyramid lake? per google earth it looks like you can.

thought i would ask.

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Got to get into the 3d view of google earth.... you got a long walk thru heavy brush to get from vista largo to get to the water... easier down than back up..... bet its 800 feet vertical down to the lake....

Quail lake... thats where you need to go... Bayrunner Ray

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I can't imagine why the bank should be closed at Pyramid.
    I've fished the lake from the bank during extremely low water and falling to fast rising water and never had a problem.
    The day use area At Vista del Lago has been closed as long as I can remember them working on the freeway. I think they are running trucks and equipment through there.
    Now Piru I have never done any good at either. Shore line access is so limited so as to be almost nonexistent if you don't want to fish off the launch ramp
    Ray's right, the thing to do would have been to drive the 10 minutes up the 5 to Quail. Or went back down to Castaic and fished the lagoon.
    There are some good sized cats in the lagoon but it doesnt get much pressure. Most people that fish it are there looking for LM bass or during the planting season for trout.

13. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    maybe i am looking at the wrong place, but it looks to me like they are creating a new boat ramp at vista de largo. addtionally, seems like the brush has been all cut out.

14. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Sorry man... maybe they are using our "cal trans money" to help that place out..... I seriously have not been that way since our Mendota gathering in... May I think... was dark when I drove by.... I'm sure that Schwartzneger dosen't know about this project... I thought that we had a $$ problem here in "Cali-forn-ya" .....LOL

Bayrunner Ray