Pyramid another try 1/3

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Jan 4, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Sometime it seems I'm just a glutton for punishment. I ran up the road to Pyramid lake yesterday morning to give it one more try. Paid the use fee and purchased a bag of 'chovies from the girl in the booth and headed down to the lake. took out my fishing back pack and two poles and walked down the stairs to get to the shore and set up.
    I first set out my Ugly Stick baited with a fly lined anchovy half and then went about setting up my new 10' Kat King rod. I wanted to try out the new slip floats I got so I tied on a knot of string about 15' up the line slipped on a bead then the float, a 8" lighthouse weighted float, a 1 ounce egg sinker and a heavy snap swivel. below that I ran a 12" leader with a #1/0 bait holder hook loaded with a half anchovy.
    This rig seemed to cast very well and I heaved it out a good ways and let it sit and sit and sit and...., well you get the picture.
    Nothing happened for the first few hours despite changing my baits every 30 minutes until about 12:30 the fly line rig got what I thought was I pretty good run. I picked up the rod and waited and when it ran again I took it out of free spool and when the line tightened up set the hook on...nothing. the same thing happened two more times in the next hour then stopped.
    Along about 3:45 I had just re baited the slip float rig and cast out, as I was putting the rod in it's holder the float went under and didn't come back up so I snatched it up and set the hook on ....nothing.
    While I was reeling in the float to bait it again the fly line rig took off so i set the float rod down and grabbed the other on and ...you guessed it, nothing this went on at a fevered pace for about 10 minutes as fast as I could get either rod baited and in the water it would get bit.
    It had to be a bunch of small schoolie stripers that were just not big enough to eat the size baits I was using, or maybe the hooks I used or the way I was rigged, anyway the fish were doing their part. Oh well, I at least had the fun and excitement of feeding them before the moved on.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom..... got anything to do tomorrow?... we could put my little boat together and go try and see it it floats with the two of us in it at the same time? "yuk"..... bad taste im my mouth..... "a pay lake".... let me know.... got to get it ready for the gatherings at the "Delta" and the "2nd Annual AZ - CA Colorado River CAMP-FISH.

PM or call ...... "we pray, we pay and we CATCH"

Bayrunner ray

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Ray, I was just thing about where to go tomorrow so stand by for a phone call.