PWC's for Fishing?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by photocat, Jan 6, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Has anyone ever thought about using a personal water craft to fish from? i keep looking on Craigslist and seeing used PWC's for cheap that i could fix up and possibly use to fish off of but i don't know how effective they could be... Any ideas?

PWC's=personal water craft=jetski's= pain in the butt on the water usually=gnat like boats.... lol

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The bigger ones might work, but I've seen them go turtle pretty easy. Rigging rod holders may be a problem and you can't use them in lots of states for night fishing. Texas specifically states the pwc's can't be operated from dusk to dawn. Not much room on them either. Plenty fast to get to the fishing hole.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I don't think I have ever seen a water flea used in this manner.
    Like what was stated most states don't allow them to be operated at night but I have seen them towing rubber rafts with camping gear. So anything is possible.

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i read on some site where this guy uses a pwc to get up into places in the red river i dont see why youd want to fish from on though you could get a jon boat and fish night and day have alot of room for r/r and tackle think new ones start around 400$ can find a small used motor for around 150$

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Haven't you heard the rules: No BOC member is to fish from PWC's?

Just joking! :D
    I'd like to see a pic of the rod holders, tackle box arrangement, bait tank.....
    LOL

6. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ive fished from one for bream/bass but Im pretty sure youd flip if you caught a big cat. Id agree that a cheap john boat and motor would be a much better bet.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Dont mean to change the subject, but during our recent floods, they were racing them up and down the street in sacremento area :rolleyes: Now they have some pwc's that are like small boats and imagin you could fish from them, but I would get pretty cramped!

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Bryan, Unless you already have one, A small two man boat will be alot cheaper than a PWC. I bought a two man bass tracker a few years back for around $500.00. That was a perfect for pond fishing and on small rivers.

9. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I met a 70+ yr old guy that I know at the launch ramp in Inks Lake State Park last winter. It was a fairly cold day for here in central Texas. He was unloading a Jet ski. He told me he was was going jug fishing. Get this, his jugs were small bottles that chain saw oil comes in. with 5 ft of cord and hook attached. Bait was a box of frozen Shrimp. He had a milk crate mounted on the front of the jet ski. The fish go into the crate after the jugs go out. He then takes them to a basket that he ties to the fishing dock. He had caught 3 1 1/2 lb channels by the time I got my boat launched and over to my camp site. He had his routine perfected, never even got his boots wet. Very interesting to watch, but I like the comfort of my 16 ft flat bottom.

There are some good bank fishing places in that area that are no longer accessible from the road. They have put up no parking signs, the road is dangerous but I think the Park wants the $5 day use fee. The jet ski would be a good way to access these areas.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I did talk to one sporting goods salesman who told me that a fishing/boating show last year, there was a pwc outfitted for fishing. I prefer my kayak, great fishing platform for small rivers and lakes, though I use it on big water too. Cheap to operate, no mechanical breakdowns, easy to paddle, and no smell of gas/oil on my hands.

11. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    I'm with Blackwaterkatz on this one Haven't you heard the rules: No BOC member is to fish from PWC's? LOL :)

12. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    might be interesting to mount jet ski motor and pump under rear deck on 16ft
    john boat!!

13. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    but while I was off trying to pass some kidney stones last week, I didn't have anything to do one day and got to watching the Price Is Right show. (Boy, how many facelifts do you think Bob Barker has had? His forehead was tight as a drum!)

Anyway, I saw the identical shallow water, rough landing, heavy current fishing vessel - a 50hp hovercraft some guy won. This thing runs 8 inches off the surface and would go over rocks, sand, water, weeds, you name it. Just let 'er down off the trailer, fire it up, and hover your way to the water. Maybe it was a dream. Anyone have any experience with such a thing?

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm like you guys, don't think I'd fish off of one, but if you could get one cheaper than a boat, it'd get you to your fishing spot and back. Probably cheaper to operate and shallower draft than a boat.

Whiskers, I've never seen a small one like that, but when I was in the Marines, they had LCACs (Landing Craft-Air Cushioned) that were huge ones. They could take a few hummers or an Abrams tank from ship to shore. Had jet engines in them for lift and thrust. Same kind of deal, though, just a LOT bigger. Not a lot of fun to ride in, either.

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
  16. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    not a problem been using them the last few years on the river (colorado) got me a Telescopic Spincasting Fishing pole, a small tackle box with the basics and a baggie of some hog wild and or maybe some shrimp in a baggie, got some saddle bags put all in with some drinken water and I 'm off for some day time cats, I dont and wont ancore on the river dont want to fall off and your ride still ancored and your floting down the river, most of the time i will just beach it on a sand bar or shore. for carrying the fish back to camp i use a gunny sack that tied off to the hand hold and sit on the rear step platform. I can make it up the river when i could never get my boat out and a lot faster also, its 110hp motor will put my 270lb @$$ up the river 65mph, as far as saving on gas that's not going to happen, and one other thing when your done fishen thay sure are a blast

Attached Files:

17. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a few freinds that have some hovercrafts. I have fished out of them many times. One of my friends built his own. They will go anywhere on the river. Most of us that have used them prefer a good outboard jet boat, but they wont go the places the hoverbuggy will. They are hard to fish out of, and running lines is a real pain. You are also going to get wet, so winter fishing is out. They blow water around the skirts when you began to hover, but once you get going it quits blowing water.
    The ones they use have a 10 hp motor for lift and a 25 hp for thrust. They have 2 seperate throttles. You can move slow over rocks and will run about 50 mph wide open.
    They are made of foam and coated with a small layer of fiberglass. All of them have been crashed mutiple times. They are very hard to drive, untill you get the hang of it.
    Forget it if the wind is blowing over 10 mph. They only weigh 400 pounds and can haul about 400 pounds.
    If your pasenger is not helping you drive, you will crash. You sit one behind the other and both of must be leaning the direction you want to go. Weight must be placed evenly on the boat in order to drive it.
    You do not want to spill gas on it.(like gas in a syrofoam cup)
    But I have caught big fish out of them, because you can fish where only others dream!!!
    Should I have started a new thread for this?

18. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know of one fella that thought of it. I was fishing one day in one of my favorite spots, when in comes this guy on a jet ski powered by an outboard. Darndest thing I ever saw.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have seen some in boating magazines rigged out for fishing but mostly it was very specialized ,shallow water application.They would always be a very cramped,crowded,uncomfortable application and never as good as a small boat.Drop something on a jet ski and over it goes instead of to the deck of a boat.You would be subjected to wave and wake action also.Then to if you have a boat however small you are one of the guys but a JETSKIER is subject to scorn, hate and in some locations gunshots. :p :mad: :sad: ;) I believe SC has a season and bag limit on Jetskiers not sure about your state!:)

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Takes a 70+ year old Texan to know how to fish from a jet ski. :D

Inks Lake...many years ago we camped and fished there several times.