pvc rod holders

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by gottagetabigun, Apr 6, 2008.

1. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i seen on the boc library how to make pvc rod holders(whistlers). my buddy got a new boat and we were looking for a more economical way to rig up rod holders. i got him a picture of these and he mounted seven on his boat. they work as good if not better than the store bought ones on my boat (driftmaster). he has about $10 bucks or so in them. i usually am skeptical about cutting corners when it comes to fishing. the way i see it is if you fish a lot and your going to use that item from now on get the good stuff. but these are the real deal. he did use thicker pipe than whistler did. he had some 1/2 inch (wall thickness it was four inch in diameter )laying around so thats what he used. before you go spend money on rod holders i would suggest giving these a try.

2. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I built some using Whistler's design with some modifications. I have had fish take the rod tip all the way to the water and the holder never gave. Also have been hung up strong enough to stop the drift of the boar and they never blinked.

3. chris dornbusch

chris dornbusch New Member

State:
    iowa
    Lets see the mods

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The article on how to make them, along with photos, is in the library.

5. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Here's some shots of the modifications. Used some square tubing that will fit down in another piece so they are removable if you want. Just took a little welding and some paint.

Attached Files:

6. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i made 6 of em for the bank,they work great,had a friend of my son ask me how much would i charge him to make him some,he told me,cant find nothing in the stores that stronger than those...

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have 6 of them on my boat and they work great. I used rivet nuts in the gunwales to mount them with a bolt and washer.