PVC Rod Holders For Your Catfish Boat

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by sds888, Dec 27, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I would like to thank Blackwaterkatz for the idea and pictures he provided.

I thought of a plan that could fit my boat and will stay out of the way.

I went to Home Depot and bought total so far 3 sticks of 1 1/2" schedule 40 pipe 10 foot long. The following fittings: two four way, a bunch 90 degree, a bunch T's, wyes for however many rods and some end caps. You can not buy too many fittings you can always return them.

I cut off one of the arms on the four way just short enough so that the other two arms and the cut piece would be sitting on the floor and slid it down the seat post. We will use one side of the four way now and I left the other side to add on later. At first I just had a t but that left no option for later.

I then placed a t near the side of the boat but far enough to place a 90 degree against the side and a little pipe to connect it. We will discuss what to with the upper part of the T later.

I placed a 90 degree against the side with one side facing the seat pole and one side facing the back of the boat and measured a piece of pipe to fit between the T and the 90 degree. You want to measure the pipe and make the cut a little long you will have to remove the four way from the seat post put everything together then place in under the lip of the boat and place the seat post back into the four way. You want it very tight against the side of the boat. Do this again for the back of the boat seat pole but have the 90 degree facing toward the front of the boat.

Now you have to determine how many rods you can fit on your side of the boat. For mine it was four rods at 24” apart. I placed mine 24” apart but you can determine how far apart you want yours. I have a place on the side of the boat that kind of supports the long pipe to all of the rod holders but if you don’t have that then you are going to have to put some kind of support to the floor to hold the weight. If you have a floor that goes all the way to the back of the boat you do not any support the rig will lay on the floor.

Now you need to start making the rod holders. You need to cut a piece of pipe that will go into your 90 degree in the front and go to the other 90 degree at the back of the boat. This is the easiest way to do instead of cutting lengths to each rod holder.

Next place T’s where you want the rod holders to go. Cut the pipe and place it into the T. The upper part of the t gets a pipe as high as you want the rod holder to be. Mine is 8” because it sits at the lip of the boat. If yours sits on the floor you might want it higher so it will be easier to grab the pole. Just remember you do not want it to high because you will start to lose strength. At the top of the pipe place a wye or a t or any other angle you can find. If you are crappie fishing you might want to use a t, catfish maybe a wye at 45 degrees or so forth. You can always place a bolt at the bottom t instead of gluing it so that you can change out different rod holders like I will show you how my lights are interchangeable. Another option is for one type of rod holder is place a t in the end of the pipe with the two ends facing outward place pipes and t’s on that for spider rigging for crappie. Just don’t make the weight to much. I did not put bolts on the end of my rod holder pipes to change them out now I wish I had.

On the wyes or the T’s that you are placing your rods in to hold them blackwater showed how you can notch it so that your rod fits right in. I will show it in a picture. You can also stand your rods straight up while traveling in the water.

Now going back to the T’s we placed between the seat post and the side of the boat. I put a 5” pipe, the height is to your wishing I just placed 5” inches because of the weight, into the upper T portion and placed a 90 degree on this facing out ward of the boat. I can then attach lights or other things to this by using a bolt. Before gluing I ran an extension cord through the pipe to rig my lights to the battery. I will try to show all of this in pictures. Note on the two lights there are end caps but they are not glue so you can service you light if need be. Also I placed my lights on the side of the pipe they need to be placed on the top.

The main things that you need to know is fit everything before gluing this is very important. Place bolts where you want to interchange things and place a little marine grease in the fitting so you can interchange them. Every design is going to be different to fit your needs.
    Any other questions I will be happy to answer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]