PVC multi rod holder

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bnt55, Feb 15, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Just wondering if anyone has made up a multi rod holder for the back of their boat using PVC? If so how did you do it, I need details!!:wink: I'm lookin to add about 4 rods to the back of my jon boat that can be removed pretty easily for duck season. Heres a pic of my boat, the back has changed a little, added a side console and 20 gallon permanent gas tank but you get the idea.

thanks
    Bill

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Shoot blackwaterkatz a PM. I think he has a PVC setup on his boat that looks quite spiffy. I'm sure he would send you some pics.

Bill in SC

3. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I made me some rod holders useing 2" pvc and it's real easy. You will want to space them out just a little bit away from where you mount them just to give you a little more room so the rods go in and out easyer. Also space them some off the floor so you can clean around and under them better. I just cut the pvc about 5 -6" long I use spinning reels so my handles may be a little lomger but you can cut them to fit your rod handle lengths. Drill two holes in the pipe one towards the top and one towards the bottom, what ever size screw you want to use don't need to be real big. Then on the outside hole take and drill the hole big enough so your screw head will fit through the hole (your screw head should only fit threw one side of the pipe. Top and bottom ) This will let you be able to fasten the pvc to your place of choice,and allow your screw driver to go through the out side hole and screw to the mounting surface. You can use a counter sink screw if you want so the screw will not rub your rod handle if needed. Hope this helps It worked good for me :smile2: Sorry I dont have any pics pm me and I will get ya some if ya want.

4. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I have some rod holders made from 5/16" steel rod and 1 1/2" steel tubing welded together. Exhaust pipe can be used and is dirt cheap, even free if you can raid the dumpster at your local muffler shop. I have more steel rod and I planned on making some for the MO gathering as giveaways but I'm not sure if I plan on going now. I still need to find a welder.

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I was sorta thinking about using all pvc picpe with T-fittings and tubes for the actual holders themselves. If I keep it angled up enough I dont think a fish could pull the rod out of the tube holder? I know its not ideal but I wont have to buy hardly anything and right now thats a plus.

Attached Files:

6. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    this is my version of pvc holder it,s held up to a 45.9 bluecat main part is 3inch and holders are 1-1/2 inch hope it helps cost to me only time

Attached Files:

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    They're relatively simple and cheap to construct. I made the one that's in my aviator in about an hour. Granted it's on my truck and not the boat....:eek:oooh:

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Make up two right triangles out of pvc, and place one on each side of the stern seat, resting on the hypotenuses. Connect the triangles with two long pieces of pvc, and attach the rod tubes to them. Attach it to the boat any way you see fit...I think I would work out some arrangement where it was held down by a couple of ratchet straps, at least until I was sure it was gonna work out the way I'd planned.

I hope this is clear...I have the computer skills of a five year old, otherwise I'd draw it out for you.

9. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    That pretty much what I am planning on doing, however I am attaching them a little more permanently with straps and screws, I am just trying to figure out what angle to make the rod holders so that they are leaning towards the water but still angled up enough to keep a fish from jerking them out of the pipe holder:crazy:

Thanks, I will maybe have my son dangle on the end of some fishing line to see if the rod wants to pop out of the holder!!!

10. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I have mine angled at about 45 degrees. They are made out of 1 1/2" pvc and they have held up to many 50 pounders and some serious snags while drifting. I have used them for about 2 years and havent even come close to losing a rod. I cut grooves in them for the triggers and the rods sit in them all the way down to the reel.

11. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    These are made out of 4inch pvc. with 6 inch 3/8 in. carriage bolts. covered with black nylon tubing. Pvc is slotted so they will adjust up or down as well as side to side. Bases are ceiling flanges bought at Lowes. They can be mounted just about anywhere. If you use a round bar for the back you can use split ring pipe hangers for the mounts instead of ceiling flanges. I'm using the split rings on my bow rails. You can get a piece of flat steel, sqaure tubing or even a 2X4 to mount across the back of your boat.

Attached Files:

12. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Here is what I came up with and the best part is it only cost me $20!! Woohoo! I can use a baitcaster or spinning reel in the slots I made so hopefully that will keep them straight and in the boat.

Attached Files:

13. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Nice job on the set up Bill.