Pvc bank poles

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by flathead81, Jun 9, 2006.

1. flathead81

flathead81 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hi every one we bank pole alot on the river with cane but this year we decided to try pvc and I was wondering if anyone else had used this before and if they worked very well thank you

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Tryed them a couple of times but, heavey fiberglass works alot better.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I run 2 inch pvc 20 inches long on a four foot steel rod held together by two hose clamps and duct tape. I have used them for years. They have held many 50+ fish in rough water.

I trust them with my gear and will continue to do so. We use a hammer to pound them into the ground and they hold well!!!

Good luck

4. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I understand you correctly, You are speaking of sticking a pole in the riverbank and attaching a baited line to leave and return to (hopefully) find a catfish.
    In West TN we call them "pole lines" to be used when there are no limbs available for "limb lines". We use some cane, but I mainly use poles made from hickory saplings. When we clear brush I keep my eyes open for long, straight, and limber saplings. I throw them into a pile and use when the Obion river drops to summer flow.
    I've never seen PVC used for pole lines. When leaving items unattended on the riverbank, I try to have the least amount of my (hard earned) money invested.
    Jeff

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've never tried using bank lines, but it sounds like something I should try.

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
  7. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sounds pretty inventive to me. never personally used anything like that, but let me know how it works out for you!

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    PVC works excelent for bank poles!!! If I remember correctly the above link to that thread gets pretty detiled but if you have any more questions just let Me know

9. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Grew up bank polin

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Wow, I think my youth and ignorance got to me on this thread. When I originally posted I was referring to my regular bank pole holders, nothing setup. I have never run bank lines and apparently this is what this thread is talking about.
    Sorry ladies and gents,
    I must learn to read deeper

Best o'luck to everyone

11. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Grew up bank poling on Spoon River. Lots of fun. Just used cut saplings. Used to get some stolen. Of course not by fishermen but by theives.

12. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    You had me confused, I was wondering how that worked with 20" pvc, lol. :smile2:

13. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    im new to bank poling and it seems there is about 4000 years of info in this tread and i was wondering if i could get some tips i have four 4 foot fiber glass poles 10/0 circle hooks 65# braded line and 600# twisted line and i have a couple yoyos and i want your ideas on how i might be abel to put these together i know im gona have to stube my toe i would like some tips so i dont fall flat on my fase aney tips welcome

14. Dull Hook

Dull Hook New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Here in Nebraska I've use PVC poles for 3 years now,as a matter of fact, still using the same original ones. In this state, you have to have a lot of information of them. Name -address-licence number. I myself, woudn't use any other kind, I think they are cheep and really do the job. I've caught 15# cats and they always preform for me anyway. I started to experament with a "new type of pole" also. It's a 12 foot PVC with a line that I put on the INSIDE for transporting and when I get to my area drive a stake in the ground and put a wire in the PVC and put it around the stake. It hangs a long way over the water and get out much farther this way. Some of my friends are commenting, they have NEVER seen anything like it.."so far".
    That's my 2cents anyway.
    Darryl:

15. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Those poles last for ever and make it real easy to catch fish in places you'll never get a line back on a rod and reel. Stick them right in the bank at a 45 degree angle, nail them to a big old log, stick-em in tree roots, very versital. We use an eye bolt, washer & nut on the ends so when you need to put them up or change line you don't have a mess. We also spray paint the ends with floresent paint so you can spot them bouncing at night. When setting one on the bank, I always set it at the 45 degree in about 1- 2 foot above
    the water. I run enough line so that when you set the pole the weight sits on the bottom...then wrap about 3-4 turns of the line around the pole so the weight and bait are about 2-6 inches off the bottom. You check this by bending the pole and watching the line travel until the weight hits the bottom again. Bait it an your fishing!
    Don

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I dont know exactly how they were doing it but someone was telling me about getting 2 different size pvc and driving the larger into the riverbank were he wanted then he could eaisly remove his actual bank pole when done and slip it back in next time he wanted to run his lines. id immagine he drilled and pinned them to keep them from pulling out but i dont know.