PVC Bank lines

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by catman george, May 14, 2007.

1. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Has anyone made banklines out of 3/4" sch 40 PVC pipe? I made some out of 10' pieces and glued a "T" on the end to tie off to. I have heard of people putting them into rock crevices off of bluffs for flatties, as well as in the mud and on riprap. Anyone tried this idea?

catman george

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    George you have an interesting idea. Never tried it , and your post is the first time I heard of it. Sounds like the sch 40 pvc would be expensive if you made up several.Was you expecting a glued on tee to hold a flattie lodged in the rocks? I can't visualize that. Thanks for the suggestion. Try it and post the results.:lol: :smile2:

3. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
  4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    We use rebarb cut into about 6 to 7 ft pieces. it works really well.

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    PVC will work fine but it costs money and will stick out like a sore thumb on the river. I don't see the need for a T on the end of the pole just another expense and a place for it to fail. A simply 1/8 inch hole drilled about a inch from the end will work fine to tie off. Then just take the end that will be stuck into the mud and cut a 45 degree angle to be able to drive it easier into the bank. A bank pole needs to be stuck into the bank around 18 inches so it can't be pulled out by the fish. Personally if your going to run bank lines a good willow branch works just as good, it's free and not nearly as noticeable. A bank pole placed properly will land just about any size fish that you can imagine.

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I hope your not using rebar. This is very illegal a boat can be torn in two by a piece of rebar.

7. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    My buddy and I use PVC bank poles regularly. We each take 20 everytime we go to the river. We dont use 3/4" inch, we use 1/2". It has a bit more bend to it.

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris- I was wondering what you opinion was on this idea. I have about $2.40 tied up in each one. I was wondering how far you needed to push the pipe into the mud to hold your fish. I knew about the 45 degree angle. I guess you could spray paint the pipe a drab color to help conceal it, but if people are going to rob you of your fish it does not matter what you do to the pipe.
    I

9. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

18 inches would be the min, 24 would be better just in case.

10. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris- Thanks, I appreciate your input. I am going to try these on the Deep Fork in Okla. County. The channels are only 2-3 pounds. I hope to try them elsewhere too.

catman george

11. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I bet there's bigger channels than 2 and 3 pounds in there...don't be afraid to use big perch or any hardy large baits. I've caught plenty of big channels on perch as big as my hand while targeting flatheads, and I'm sure there in that river also. Does this section of river have any overhanging limbs over the river? Don't think a limb smaller than your pinky won't work great as a limbline and hold a very large fish. Good Luck.

12. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    George,
    I have to agree with Chris. There are bigger cats in the river. We have caught plenty in the 10# range along the Deep Fork before it gets to Arcadia. A pretty good spot for limb lines is between 122nd st. and the turnpike. The north side of the river just before the turnpike has some nice fish as well as a little bit upstream. Few years ago I saw a 30# come from where the river lets into the lake.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Dave

13. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    David- I agree with you and Chris about larger cats in the Deep Fork, but you are WAY downstream from where I am talking about on the Deep Fork. The holes are maybe waist deep and there are only 4 holes in the quarter mile that I own. The biggest channel I have seen was 4-5#. That particular fish I used to drop chunks of beef blood to and watch it go wild. If I am not spraying my pasture in SE Okla this weekend I may put out the bank lines on the 4 holes. The soft shell turtles generally give me fits on anything I put out. The holes hold some dandy carp averaging 4-6 pounds+ too. I just need to drop some old deer chow in the river and go sit on the bank and within a few minutes the carp are ganged up working over the chow. Several times I have threatened to thump of few with a .22 mag for cut bait.
    I'

14. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    David- I agree with you and Chris about larger cats in the Deep Fork, but you are WAY downstream from where I am talking about on the Deep Fork. The holes are maybe waist deep and there are only 4 holes in the quarter mile that I own. The biggest channel I have seen was 4-5#. That particular fish I used to drop chunks of beef blood to and watch it go wild. If I am not spraying my pasture in SE Okla this weekend I may put out the bank lines on the 4 holes. The soft shell turtles generally give me fits on anything I put out. The holes hold some dandy carp averaging 4-6 pounds+ too. I just need to drop some old deer chow in the river and go sit on the bank and within a few minutes the carp are ganged up working over the chow. Several times I have threatened to thump of few with a .22 mag for cut bait.
    I' ll let you know what happens when I put out the bank lines.
    catman george

15. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll let you know what happens when I put out the banklines
    catman george

16. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have used them before. My grandad had some left over so we used them. They worked fine but to be honest I just love using willow branches. We broke a few pipes at the base stacking rocks onto their ends to anchor them to the ground.

Just make sure to mark you stuff brother. It keeps you from getting a ticket and allows you to get someone in trouble for taking your set up or stealing your fish. I cut plastic bottles into little strips and write my information on the strips with a permanent marker. I get a nail hot and make a hole into the strip and tie it onto the bankpole/limbline/trotline. I guess if you are using PVC you could just write the info on the pipe.

17. bigmama

bigmama New Member

State:
    iowa
    I just wanted to say that when my dad and i did bank poles when i was younger they were always made of pvc pipe we always baited them with bullheads and the biggest we caught was a 45 lb. flat head i am just in awe at the sizes of these fish that i see in your pics if any of you have any advice for me to go out on my own after many years of missing out on it i would appreciate you droppin a line. i just wish that my dad was around to continue fishing with me. may he rest in peace and be with me in spirit on my fishing excursions to help me bring in some big ones:wink:

18. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Sounds like it would work fine ,unless you got a monster on he might brake the pvc . A simple solution to that would be to take regular 3/4 pvc and stick 1/2 in rebar down through the center and let it run a couple inches out through the top and the bottom to tie your line to and stick in the bank . this fixes the only two chinks in your armor by getting rid of the T where it could fail , and it will strengthen the pvc to where it wont fail . We used to do this back home in the mid west . We even went as far as too jb weld the rebar in the pvc and notch the rebar at the top end to stop the line . Hope this will help you out . Good luck :wink::big_smile:

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've been eyeballing some small pine trees out in the woods a couple of miles from my house. Seems like those should work ok, but I'm not sure what diameter would be best.

20. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    Along Grand River and probably around the rest of the state also there are patches of bamboo. You can't beat it for bank lines and its natural. All you do it cut it, tie on your hook, and stick it in the mud.

Rebar doesn't sound like a great idea. Think what it would do to a boat or a person sitting on the front of a boat at night.