Putting plug in from outside of hull

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by my4x4awd, Dec 19, 2006.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    The plug for my boat is hard to get to. My Starcraft has a rear overhang for the batteries, gas, oil etc. It is a pain to lay down and put the plug in. So my question...is it safe to out the plug in from the outside? The hull just has a hole and uses a regular rubber expansion plug. Any Ideas folks?

Thanks Craig

2. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I always thought the plug belonged on the outside,only place i have ever put the plug on any of my boats, my old glastron trihull with an i/o you could never get to the plug hole on the inside under the hood. with the plug on the out side you have water presure working for you pushing the plug tight to the boat, on the inside the plug can blow out (to the inside)from the presure, i would never put the plug on the inside

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    No problem I would think, unless the plug should fall out for some reason. Some way to chain it to the boat? Or keep an extra just in case.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The drain plug on my boat is on the outside & has a safety chain attached to the end that goes in the hole in the boat! It would be very difficult to put the plug in from the inside in my boat. No matter how you put it in make sure you put it in before putting her into the water!!LOL

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Craig,

As long as the plug is one of the "T" screw to tighten types and not one that goes in then flips down to tighten it will be fine. Just make sure that you screw it in as tight as possible.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i put mine in from the inside but my boat leaks and its easier to get to . i pull the plug while running on plane to drain the water instead of useing a bilge pump . but i could understand why some folks like it on the outside , its cold at times to reach down in the back of the boat and pull the plug at the end of a trip .

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City

The T kind are definatly the best don't even fiddle with them flip down kind.

Take it for someone who has "been there, done that"

BUY MORE THEN ONE PLUG!!!!! THEY ARE CHEAP!!!! 3 OR 4 OF EM LAYING AROUD THE BOAT AIN'T TOO MANY!!!!!

It sucks when You have to run from the ramp to Wally World for a gosh darned plug, 'cuz the last buddy to take it out, put it somewhere stupid.

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    not sure i agree with the screw type, with the lever type i can always tell the plug is in and tight just by looking at it, just make sure its adjusted right and that would be as tight as you can get it to lock and alway make sure you have the lever turned were it folds up, but always make sure you have xtra plugs, i have never lost a plug and never leaks unless i get trash in with the plug

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is a simple matter of individual preference and don't make a hill of beans which way it is done. My preference is for it to be inside, like Ka-Boom. If I got a boat full of water, I might prefer to drain it by running on a plane. Try that with a plug on the outside. LOL

10. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    well i am a big fan of a working bilge pump so i plug mine on the outside. i use a t-plug for the outside and a lever for my livewell. a liever will do just fine on the outside. Both a lever and T tighten up the same amount.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Craig, the one in my Tracker crappie boat is put in from the outside. It's a standard rubber T expansion plug. It would be a chore to do it any other way.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Aint that neet!

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It works to. I have installed 4 of them in different glass rigs and am currently installing a stainless one in my alum. hull boat.

15. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Wow! Thanks for all the good ideas. I have always checked the plug anyway. Forget it once and that will do it for you.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the t-type on all of by boats from the outside,and have never had a problem. I agree it is a matter of preference and what is easiest for you to work with. I always carry extra plugs tied close by.

17. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    if u fish strong current and use an anchor and rope , best to use the screw in plugs ..... less for the rope to hang on if u get swung on the anchor by the current ............. the flip up plug can get pulled out under these situations ..i've only seen it happen once on the misipy river , but that was enough for me , and i wasn't even in the boat that got "unplugged" by the rope .....................

18. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    I always use a standard rubber T expansion plug. my self on the back of my boat. Never had any problems with them except sometimes they get corroded and they tend to not turn and the rubber won't tighten up. So i always keep a few in the back of my boat and i spray wd-40 on mine every once in a while. i spray it on the treads of the T plug. and it is seal tight with no leaks at all..

19. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    The only problem with having an outside plug is that when you forget to install it, you have to go for a swim to put it in! It puts the brakes on an early spring fishing trip for sure!

20. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have my plug on the oustside. With the batteries and tanks I can not get to it on the inside.
    Bill