Putting fishing line on a spinning rod?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by USMCKoontz, Nov 6, 2007.

1. USMCKoontz

USMCKoontz New Member

State:
    Indiana
    any good articles on how to to it? my line keeps coming off the reel, tangling, and wont stay striaght..I went and bought some Cajun line, and it says low memory...

what do I do to the line before I put it on? I heard something about water? and kjeep it tight? how do I tie it to my spinning spool? any good places to find step by step...

thanks

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ok heres what ya do. Take the spool and sit it on the ground label facing up. Take the line and go through the closest guide to the reel. Now make a knot around the spool with the bail open. Now close the bail and make a few winds so he line doesnt slip. Now take a damp cloth and hold the line above the guide and keep tension on it and wind the line evenly until full.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Ozzy covered the spooling part. What I have noticed with Cajun Red is that it has coils in it when you put it on the spool. But the line relaxes during the first use.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    There have been several posts regarding line going on a reel here... I believe that a way to do it is to have the twist of the line come off the spool the same direction as it is going on the spinning reel.... that could be label up or down... not sure. But one way is to put some on with the pole up high to begin with, and lower the pole down to the spool and if it coils on it self, then reverse the label of the spool.

bayrunner ray

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    For spinning reels, you want the line to come off the spool in the same direction it's going onto the reel. That means the spool needs to stay still while you take line off of it.

For casting reels, you want the line to come off the spool in the same way it's going onto the reel. That means the spool needs to be spinning while you take line off of it.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Buy braided line..PowerPro. No line twist, period.

LOL, sorry mono men, I just couldn't help myself
    -Jim-

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Just had a second thought. It might not be the way your spooling it on the reel. If your fishing a heavy current and using a BAD swivel or no swivel at all. Ive had this problem with swivels before where they wont spin. Hope this helps.

8. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    You can use a spinning spool of line for a spinning reel as long as the line is being peeled off towards the reel from the bottom. Bait casting reels from the top.
    A still spool lying flat needs to have the line peeling off clockwise for spinning reels. Counter clockwise for bait casting reels.

9. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Make a simple rod to put in your reel spool and a spindel for the line .Run the line on the spool with the drill motor no twist
    Cranking on a staic line while the drag is spinning will give you twist ,or fishing w/o a swivel to get rid of this run your line out behind the boat with nothing on it while the boat is moving after a couple of miles no twist
    crmule

10. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    when i put cajun red on my reels i had the same problem. i just dropped the whole reel in hot water and let it soak for a while. the line settled way down.

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Whenever I spool any reel I will put the new line in a container of water(usually a five gallon bucket). Just fill it where it will cover the new spool or maybe a tiny bit less than that. Then stand the spool on edge so that as you wind the reel it will spin and unwind itself off the spool. Also if you are having trouble with the line twist and fish out of a boat. Cut the hooks and weights off the line, then let the entire spool out behind the boat while you are idling in forward. Then reel it all back up. If you continue to idle slow you won't have to add any tension to the line until you get most of the line respooled. Vern

12. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've been told the same thing. Unspool everything on your reel behind your boat with nothing tied on the end. Reel it back on while putting tension on it with your thumb and pointer finger. You can do it on land but it takes a little walking.