Putting a slot limit on blue catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by kingkatt 2, Aug 31, 2007.

1. kingkatt 2

kingkatt 2 New Member

State:
    illnois
    To all my fellow catfishermen,we need to join together and try to get a slot limit on the blues.I went below the dam and seen a couple of big blues laying in the dumpsters not even taken for the meat.We are talking about 60 to 70 pounders.Do anybody know how to go about doing that,if so give me your input.Thanks a bunch.

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    My understanding about Illinois conservation dept. is that they wont do anything to hurt the commercial fishing industry. Putting a slot limit on blues would hurt them so IF my info is correct , you will not get anywhere. It is a shame that someone would do that. They should lose their fishing privelages for life. There is no excuse for that. NO EXCUSE

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Bob is correct about Illinois. However, I think legislation down the road that Missourians have a slot limit would eventually place place pressure on Illinois. I think its inevitable it will happen, just might take some time. I, personally, think a slot limit is necessary. It doesnt really hurt the commercial guys other than the one's that are after solely the big fish to resell to "other bodies of water" :wink:

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    a slot limit would not save people throwing fish away. the people that threw those fish in the dumster need to be fined and put away. we have laws here that punish that. of course someone must see who it was and turn them in. that is nonsense to throw anything away and not use it. i don't mind people keeping big fish as long as they eat them.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I got a call from a friend at MDC this am. He said we have suffered a pretty big setback in our quest for any length limits or pretty much any move towards more sports fisherman minded laws. They had 3 meetings open to the public and about the only people that showed up were trot liners and limbliners and jugliners. We were not there to represent the sport fishermen. He said we might try contacting Kevin Sullivan. He is in charge of the biology aspect. We need everyone to call or write or email Kevin to let him know there are many of us that support length limits and stricter rules on keeping catfish. So spread the word if you believe in what we are trying to do.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Anyone that throws away 60 to 70lb fish(or any fish for that matter) should have their a$$ kicked. I like to set lines sometimes( don't get mad:eek:oooh:) and I would be for a slot limit, even if setting lines was limited. The future of catfishing is more important than that.

7. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Check out the commercial fishing in mo thread ... maybe that will help some.

8. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    all of u like to see the rules change and blame the trot liners but like some one said no one showed up to the meetings and it was the same way when they were trying the hand fishing there r plenty of fish out there all of u r holding trophy fish so ether u borrowed some one elses fish or have cought one i will admitt i set lines but i also rod and reel and i like to eat fish and i have a big family that likes to eat fish but to the people that want to change the ways everybody else fishes i personaly think they need to butt out we all buy liscense and pay taxes to the mdc and they need to decide the rule and regs on fishing not a few ppl that don't catch a big fish every time they go out and then say there must be no fish i have had 250 lbs days and been skunked just like eveybody else

9. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    the rules changes would be to keep commercial fisherman from taking big fish out of the river we fish and selling them to pay lakes to me this is a crime they are stealing from us

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The MDC's mission is to manage the game and fish resources of Missouri in the way that best benefits Missouri sportsmen. Without input from the users, they have no way of knowing what Missouri sportsmen want and what would benefit them the most. They get that information either from public meetings such as the ones held over the last few months, as well as through direct comments and/or behind-the-scenes lobbying by those interested in seeing the rules changed in one way or another.

You're certainly free to lobby for the "status quo" if you want to, just as others are free to work for change that they think is in their best interest or the best interest of the sport.

11. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri

is'nt commecial fishing for cats in mo illegal anyways. Is'nt selling them also illegal. I do agree that large fish should be released. I know I havent always done this, but after reading more about the age and size of blues I am changing my ways. I am sure all of you have cleaned a big fish sometime in your life but was it that great to eat? how much of the read meat did you pitch? If a guy can catch 250lbs of big fish in a day why cant he catch 250 lbs of small fish in day. I not saying we should have a law on this but the man catching the fish should be thoughtfull enough to relize the big fish dont just apear in the river and they wont last for ever. hell in the mid to late 1800 people noted catching 250# cats any of you guys seen a 250# blue?

12. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    in the missouri river the commercial harvest of catfish has been illegal for some time but on the mississippi river it still goes on now i dont mind if a guy has a fish market to sell fish but if you start taking fish and selling them to pay lakes for some one else to pay and catch that fish that is wrong that is taking away are chance our are kids chance to catch that fish its just letting someone else pay a guy that bought that fish to catch it out of a pond where that fish has no chance of survival just my opinion

13. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I didnt know that it was still legal for cats on the miss but I agree with you all the way when it comes to selling to pay lakes.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Is Jug lining and trot lining illegal in those rivers?
    I love to jug and line so i am biased on this. I love to eat catfish too. I will not keep more than i can use, i will not donate fish to people too lazy to fish with me. I beleive the slot limit should be implemented here in texas. I know some folks who will release NOTHING that is legal to keep. When they go on my boat we practice selective harvest whether they like it or not.

15. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    yes jug lining and set lining are legal here we just need to start watching how many big we take

16. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Well, i personally wish NOBODY could legally keep a catfish over 36 inches. I have caught some nice fish but the blues have the potential of getting REALLY big if allowed to grow. I also eat catfish but i eat the 2-3 pounders. As far as the line runners, i know around here they keep every fish they catch no matter how big they are and that needs to stop.:angry:

17. midmocat

midmocat New Member

State:
    MO
    The way i look at it either way the fish are getting bigger and healthier all the time in the Missouri River I have caught more big fish in the riverthis year than ever. A redicilous amount. I throw all the big ones back I might keep a few 10 to 20# fish to eat . I think the word is getting out and alot of people are getting it now but I always want people keeping some fish because thier has to be fish taken out of the river at some point. I will not critisize people as long as it is legal, it is their right. Last the problem is maybe they should enforce the rules that they have now and check freezers and check boats and be on the river more checking and then they can make new laws. I am all for slot and length limits but enforce what we have now.