Putting a deck on my jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by natesmith, May 9, 2008.

1. natesmith

natesmith New Member

State:
    IL
    I have a 12 foot Jon Boat and i was wondering if I could put a fishing platform and remove the middle bench and put a deck on the bottom??
    would that be to top hevy??
    is there any ideas u guys have for me
    thanks
    nate

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    check your PMs

It can be done.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Check my Boat Modification Journal post, "My Lowe 1652 In Progress". All the details are in the post with Pics. Good Luck!

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may want to figure out what the maximum weight capacity of a 12' jon boat is, add the weight of the platforms your wanting to install and see what that leaves you with. You may be better off leaving it as a stock jon boat, saving your pennies, nickels, dimes and quaters for a year and see how close you are to a bigger boat with the decks.

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    For a 12 ft jon you dont have much room for mods, I would keep it simple if you do try it tho, dont go wood, try aluminum, its lighter an takes up less space that can be used for storage. I added a small storage box in my 14 ft jon. used 2X2's an 3/8 plywood only cuz I couldnt go aluminum. but will when I can. I basically built it right over th center seat, works great for bass fishin and I can throw my cast net off it w/o any problems, plus it houses my battery an keeps all my misc items organized an not all over th boat an in my way. I am still experimenting w/it tho. I also cut a hole in th front seat took out th foam and turned it into storage also, works like a charm. will post pics as soon as I figure out how. sorry, didnt mean to pirate your thread.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sure, it can be done. Most anything can be done to a boat.
    It's a 12 foot hull.
    When you put a deck on it and stand on that deck you have raised the center of gravity about 300%.

Wear your PFD. You'll need it. It's going to throw you before its over.

7. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is what I have started putting in my boat, I used all stainless steel bolts when putting the frame in.

Attached Files: