Putting a boat in and out of the water alone.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by BUZZY, Dec 26, 2007.

1. BUZZY

BUZZY New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    I'M 69 YRS YOUNG AND FINALY GOT ME A BOAT AND ENGINE. THE WIFE DIED. I'VE HAD PROBLEMS GETTING THE BOAT OFF AND ON THE TRAILER ALONE. LAST TIME I HAD TO GET IN THE WATER UP TO MY ARM PITS, FORGETTING I HAD MY POCKET WATCH AND C-PHONE IN MY POCKET, TO GET THE BOAT ON THE TRAILER. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANKS.

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Tell us what kind of boat ( length, horse power, trailer etc) and you will get a ton of replies:tounge_out:. Welcome to the HOOD!!

3. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Welcome to the BOC Buzzy! you came to the right place for info about boating & fishing. First of all put your life jacket on...second, you need to talk to some of the Arkansas boys in or around your area to show you how to unload & load a boat if this is your first boat. I'm hoping you weren't alone when you're up to your armpits in water trying to hold a boat especially this time of year. What kind of boat did you buy, size-hp and where are you using the boat-creek-lake-river and what kind of ramp are you at, paved-dirt-gravel etc. If you're doing this by yourself it is very ackward to back in and unload without some help. Learning to back in and getting the depth right on your trailer is a matter of knowing you boat-weight-length-hp-floating depth-angle of the ramp. You have to have help OR you have to know how to control the boat from drifting off of the trailer. Ever guy on here has some way they use to hold their boat from drifting off while they take their velicle & trailer to the parking area. I tie a 15ft rope to the boat front and to the trailer winch and shoot the boat back in to the water, and then pull forward with the Tahao to ease the boat up to the back of the trailer. Then take the boat to a bank or dock & tie it up. Go park the vehicle and go fish. I don't like to go alone but I can and sometimes do. Age is no barrier-just an inconvience. I gotcha beat. Stay on the BOC and learn a bunch. You'll find that before long the area campouts will start and they are great to go to. Welcome again!!

4. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I see that I didn't pay attention to what I was reading, You were alone sorry

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    buzzy welcome to the BOC.
    We are gonna need some more info to be able to help you out and believe me we will give you plenty of suggestions for you to try but we will need more vital info to be able to give you good suggestions. We don't want to just throw out suggestions to you that could get you hurt or worse. So please send us the vitals like the size boat you are using and the size motor or if it even has a motor, what size tires the trailor has, and what kind of vehicle are you launching it with, and where and what kind of launch ramp you are launching it from. With this vital information I'm confident and sure that we will be able to help you out.

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    It is a whole lot different if you are at a ramp in a swift current area. I usually avoid such an area but if you gotta back your trailer so you load it headed into the current.There is even one ramp I use that I have found it is easier to back the trailer off the side of the ramp to load.
    I'm also going to add side rails to my trailer.
    the best to ya
    just

welcome to the BOC

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I used to tie a long rope to the boat when launching and quickly stop the truck when the depth was right and send the boat floating (tied to the truck of course). Then just pull the rope to beach it and park the truck. Now I mostly just find the right depth and stop, then unhook the bow winch, get in the boat and motor off, then beach it and park the truck.

When loading, you just have to gauge how far to back in the trailer, leaving a small bit of the bunks above the water will help guide you in. Motor onto the trailer, then walk off the front onto the trailer tongue and winch it up tight. Do not overrev the motor here if the trailer is a bit too shallow as you can wash away the bottom under the ramp. Simply get out of the front of the boat to remove excess weight and let your winch line out as far as you need to and bring it on in.

After a few times you'll get real used to it.

Simple.

Current of course complicates the logistics but you get used to that too. If the boat isn't setting right just back off of it and try again.

You'll be fine after doing it a few times.

Good Luck!

8. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Welcome to BOC.
    I unload my boat with a long rope like others do. I would suggest putting a piece of flat metal about 6 or 8 inches wide with a nonslip surface on it on the tongue of the trailer to stand on to keep your feet dry while loading the boat. And if you can put some Roller bunks on your trailer if your boat is pretty heavy. And some good guides on the sides of the trailer thay are a must when loading in a cross wind.

9. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Hey Buzzy,

Welcome to the BOC. Glad to have you here.

Where do you live in Arkansas? If your not too far I'll be glad to come help you learn a few tricks that I have learned over the years. I fish a lot by myself and I'm 55 and handicapped somewhat but I always manage well. If I can be of service just give me a holler. I'll be glad to help any way I can.

don3778

10. BUZZY

BUZZY New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    HEY HEY !!!!!!! THANKS FOR SUCH A WARM AND FRIENDLY WELCOME. ( I HOPE I'M ANSWERING RIGHT). I WAS OUT OF TOWN SO COULD'NT ANSWER QUESTIONS, BUT HERE GOES;16'WELDCRAFT,48''WIDE,20''DEEP .O8O GAUGE, POWERED BY A 25 H.P. 4 CYCLE YAMAHA ENGINE ELECTRIC START,2-3GAL. GAS TANKS AND BATTERY BY ENGINE,THE TRAILER HAS 13''TIRES/WHEELS,( I MEASURED 23'' FROM THE GROUND TO THE TOP OF THE TIRE. ALLTHIS IS PULLED BY A 2006 FORD-F150. I WAS ON A CONCRETE RAMP. HOPE THIS HELPS.....THANK YOU.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    WELCOME ABOARD BUZZY! One thing is fer sure sounds like you have a dang nice fishin boat.My unc is 73,he has a 14ft gruman he loads and unloads all the time.We have some decent docks here and most of the time it is easey enough fer any boat.I am just a young pup so I dont expect ya to listen a whole lot to me:wink:but I'd use the rope ,when we dont have the docs in thats what we do.I bet if you put the word out here anytime you go fishing some one would be there ,ofcourse you might have to take them to but you yell loud enough fer help round here someone is a running even if they dont know you and there glad they can.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yo... Buzzy... member #9979 and ya already got 2 posts??
    Windy ol fart aintcha...:smile2::smile2:
    Welcome to the forums...

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Buzzy, I think you are backing your trailor to deep in the water. You will need the bottom bunks [rails] just showing out of the water up toward the frount of the trailer, the back section must be under the water, this will lock [steady the boat] the boat on the trailor and keep it from shifting or going sideways. Trim the motor up just a bit to keep it from dragging on the ramp and use the motor power to position it against the frount bumper.

Welcome to the B.O.C. Give me a call if you should need any info 1-479-293-0080

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I would just caution again that powering the boat to the roller if it is a bit shallow is a bad practice. This will erode the sediment around the ramp over time, leaving a big ole hole for others (or yourself) to back your trailer off into. If the boat stops a little short just climb out the front to remove excess weight and winch it on up. Thats really the most responsible method to preserve the ramp area.

Be a good neighbor, also inform anyone else that will listen (some won't) that there is a better way.

Thanks!

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC! The greatest fishing site on the Planet.

To unload alone, tie the boat to the truck and back her in. When you see the back come up off the trailer stomp the brakes and it'll float off purty as you please. Make sure your truck is in park and untie the boat either bringing it to beach or to you to get in and motor to a safe mooring position. A ramp with a dock is MUCH simpler.

When loading up back the trailer in til just the top of the wheel well (trailer) is above or under water and about 1/3 of the trailer bunk (side rail) or 1/2 of the bunk (no side rail) are out of the water. Nose the boat up far enough to get a hook in the nose without taking a bath. Then either adjust the truck so you can winch or drive it the rest of the way up.

Either way just have patience. It is easy to curse and kick the truck boat and trailer but it takes less energy to climb in and out of the truck a coupla times til you get it right.

Good Luck,